Wananavu resort diving versus Namena Resort diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmbelows

Contributor
Reaction score
Wananavu possibility of diving Bligh waters, however I read more than once from disappointed people who stayed there and the requirements that Wananavu has for diving the Bligh waters dive sites couldn't be met so they had limited or no dives their and only were able to dive the local waters close to the resort with less than enthusastic results.

Namena, seems all the live-a-boards go there as well as I see that Jean Michel Cousteau Resort trys to go there as well.

Trying to get an idea if Namena area or the Bligh waters area would be better, as well as weighing the issues of how likely diving the Bligh waters really would be from Raki Raki area.

We are wondering the same thing so please post if you come up with any info! We're booked at Wananavu for a few days (diving only July 5 + 6, 2015) and hope there will be enough experienced divers to fill the minimum. Otherwise we may not bother.

We spend one week at Wananavu this past December. We dove the Bligh Waters every single day. The dive sites were Mellow Yellow, Instant Replay, Wheatfield, Panallas Pinnacle, Black Magic, Pure Magic, Vatu Express, G 6, Heartbreak Ridge, Fantasy, Easter Kangaroo and Mount Mutiny. All gorgeous.
We found Wananavu flawless in every regard and were sad to have to leave.

Here's my trip report from last summer: LINK

Overall we had a really great time with them.

--Thumbsplitter

Dive with Wananavu several years ago and was disappointed with their hesitation to get us to the better sites-- was initially told it was too windy. Later in the week, after our dive master and I became better acquainted he admitted that they didn't have enough gas.
Having said that, I must point out that the dive op we dive with is defunct. Recent reports are much better with the new op.(they may have even had 2 ops since I was there.)
I dove with Voli Voli Resort nearby in 2013 and can say without any hesitation that the Voli operation will bust their arse to get you to the better sites if there is any way safely possible to do so. They have a much nicer beach, too. Voli Voli is owned and managed by a family of Kiwis, the Darlings. I exchanged emails with Nick Darling before we booked and he assured me that he would do everything he could to get us to the better sites as many times as possible. He is a man of his word. I would definately go back to Voli Voli.

Just returned from Wananavu and we dove all the better sites. We even did E-6 two days in a row. They had no problem taking us out to the better sites. Very friendly, knowledgeable, and safe staff.

We spend one week at Wananavu this past December. We dove the Bligh Waters every single day. The dive sites were Mellow Yellow, Instant Replay, Wheatfield, Panallas Pinnacle, Black Magic, Pure Magic, Vatu Express, G 6, Heartbreak Ridge, Fantasy, Easter Kangaroo and Mount Mutiny. All gorgeous.
We found Wananavu flawless in every regard and were sad to have to leave.

So on trips like this were conditions just right with the correct number of divers or is this not an issue anymore? I'd hate to go there and hit it wrong and not dive the bligh waters

As far as number of divers, some days it was 4 of us, some days 6. We were there December 12 through the 19th, it rained some, but mostly at night.
It was really, really good.

We stayed here two years ago. Got out to Bligh waters most days , but the dive shop managers have moved on since then. Resort is nice enough and food was great. No real beach to speak of , if that is your 'thing' . Just a small man made sandy area by the dive shop, but pleasant enough. Land transfer to resort from Nadi is around 3 hours by mini van.

Fabulous diving ,but if we were to return we would look at the 'Fiji Siren' liveaboard rather than land based. More dives and no chance of missing out. Plus they cover both areas that you mention, plus all the other great dive sites in that region.

Back
Top Bottom