Jupiter 3mm or 5mm wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmbelows

Contributor
Reaction score
Will be diving Jupiter in the next week, see the air temps are in the mid 80s, but water temps I'm seeing are variable. I'm pretty average in regard to dealing with water temps, but due to the deeper dives around Jupiter, trying to decide between taking my 3mm or 5mm wetsuit?

I was there end of March, water was still chilly, about 73. Last water temp on the JDC dive report was 75 on April 7th, may be warming. That would still be my 5mm and hooded vest, I like being warm

water temp is still running 72-76 depending on day and location. it's a 5mm and lavacore for me but will change to my 3mm in another week or so (but keeping the lavacore).

Considering Jupiter's currents, depth of reefs...I'd say go 5mm and hood...very different than 72-74 on a shore dive were 3mm may suffice...

Cheers.

-J.

Will be diving Jupiter in the next week, see the air temps are in the mid 80s, but water temps I'm seeing are variable. I'm pretty average in regard to dealing with water temps, but due to the deeper dives around Jupiter, trying to decide between taking my 3mm or 5mm wetsuit?

It really depends on how cold you get and how long you stay down: for the last couple of years, I have worn a 7MM until the end of May. I get cold very easily and dive with nitrox so have fairly lengthy dive times (45 minutes +) compared to air divers (25 minutes or so). Two weeks ago, I felt good in my 7MM but there were people wearing 3MM shorties on the boat: Brrrrrrrr!

It really depends on how cold you get and how long you stay down: for the last couple of years, I have worn a 7MM until the end of May. I get cold very easily and dive with nitrox so have fairly lengthy dive times (45 minutes +) compared to air divers (25 minutes or so). Two weeks ago, I felt good in my 7MM but there were people wearing 3MM shorties on the boat: Brrrrrrrr!

I wore my 7mm in March, was among the only warm divers

We were diving last weekend off of Pompano Beach which is about 55 miles south of Jupiter. We were in 60 to 80 ft. (48 minute dive) of water with a temp of 74 degrees F.

I wore a full 5mm and was perfect. My sister wore a full 3mm; she said she got a bit chilled near the end of the dive.

Another one of our dive buddies wore a full 3 mm and he was fine.

None of us wore head gear, but we did wear gloves and booties.

Our second dive she added a vest inside and was fine.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all who chimed in with the advice, looks like I bring the 5mm!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom