Just back from Grand Cayman - Operator thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

releck97

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just returned from my latest trip to Grand Cayman today and will post a more detailed trip report when I have the chance. I thought it would be good to share a few thoughts about the operators while they are fresh in my mind.
1. Skiing in 70f sunshine on the day you get back is good for the soul :)
2. I dove two days with White Sand Divers at the Reef. (technically now Wyndam Reef). In my humble opinion, the operation is not yet ready for prime time. Their boat is moored on the south side of Morritt's. They picked us up each day on the beach in front of the reef in a "skiff" tender and transported us over to the "mother" ship. On the first day, there were three staff member on the boat. I was the only advanced diver, so Kaz was my private dive guide. He knows the sites but he moved way too quickly for my likes. No limit on dive time. I was able to dive my computer. On the second day, there were only two staff members on board. Jen led the dives and I was with a family with two young divers who had trouble with buoyancy. One of the children sent his computer into deco because he shot to the surface without a safety stop. We went back inside the reef for the surface interval and dropped the kids off. Because they were short-handed, I ended up assisting as the deck hand to tie up the mother boat while Jen took the skiff. The second dive was with Kaz and the father of the children. More on this later. Kaz is a former employee of Ocean Frontiers and was a safe and competent captain and divemaster. Jen seemed rather disinterested and lacked personality. She was a competent divemaster and really had her hands full with the family on my second day. They were not able to accommodate me on any other days due to a DSD one day and a snorkel trip on another.
3. I did a West Wall dive and the Kittiwake with Deep Blue Divers. We dove the Meridian as the first dive. We were limited to 40 minutes on both dives regardless of computers or air consumption. Reece and Rick were very personable and competent captains and divemasters.
4. I dove the last two days with Ocean Frontiers. In my humble opinion, they are the real thing. I dive with them every year and am never disappointed. Friendly, accommodating, safe and experienced. No artificial limits! I had the opportunity to compare three different boat operators last week and was reminded why OF is the best in the business!

Much more later. Feel free to ask questions.

Capt. Rick

I was with a family with two young divers who had trouble with buoyancy. One of the children sent his computer into deco because he shot to the surface without a safety stop.
Capt. Rick

How young were they? What was their max depth ?

I did a West Wall dive and the Kittiwake with Deep Blue Divers. We dove the Meridian as the first dive. We were limited to 40 minutes on both dives regardless of computers or air consumption.

was that a morning or afternoon trip? I've used Deep Blue on every trip to GC and never experienced this but we always went on the morning trip.

How young were they? What was their max depth ?
I do not believe that either youngster was a jr. diver. I would venture a guess that neither one went beyond 70 ft.

---------- Post added April 12th, 2015 at 07:56 PM ----------

was that a morning or afternoon trip? I've used Deep Blue on every trip to GC and never experienced this but we always went on the morning trip.
11:00 AM trip.

Apt. Rick, I'm curious as to why 1) you chose to use other operators in the first place and 2) since you weren't satisfied why would you have continued to dive with White Sand and only switched up because of their DSD/snorkeling situation?

Being able to walk out of your accommodations and jump on a dive boat without having to get into a car is a wonderful thing. IMO, it is well worth trying a new dive op or trying an old one that you weren't that impressed with from time-to-time.

Being able to walk out of your accommodations and jump on a dive boat without having to get into a car is a wonderful thing. IMO, it is well worth trying a new dive op or trying an old one that you weren't that impressed with from time-to-time.

Agree with that. Dive op personnel change constantly. Opinions more than a year out of date are not of much use.

If you are diving at the reef, there is also Tortuga that operates from Morritts. I did three dives with them last weekend. A wall/reef on sat AM and a one tank reef on Sunday pm. I am not a big fan of led group dives but was pleased with the operation. They had the more experienced divers in their own group. Guides went slow and group spread out which you can do with really good viz. If you had a buddy you did not need to follow group. Could dive until you ran out of air. I found the pace reasonable for shooting some P&S pictures. Would dive with them again. We did Anchorage wall/Black rock reef on Sat and Omega reef on Sunday. Pick you up at the dock. Weights already laid out. Was able to get shade on each dive which I like.

For first time ever I forgot my DIN adapter but they had them at no charge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom