MK25/S600 setup position.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kebosatu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

This might have been discussed in the past, and i was convinced the other way.

Somewhat I found an image from the SP reg userguide that the set up of MK25 first stage should has it's rubber part face down (swivel part on top). This is different than my understanding :D.

As this is not the case when my set came... so just wondering which position do you suggest ? rubber down, swivel up (like image), or rubber up, swivel down.

Also, could you advise on what's the pros and cons of these two set ups?

Scubapro.JPG

Many thanks in Advance,
Kebo

Mine are down, the opposite of your photo It's a much lower profile so less to snag and less likely for head bumps.

Also, if you have them, get rid of the hose protectors, they trap water and cause corrosion of the fittings. Also, some people think they're handles and will try to pickup your tank with them.

Thanks Pedro, Thanks!. I will consider removing the hose protector.

My setup is the same as yours. I just wondering if you are using Wing, or Jacket BCD?

With current setup (swivel down), the second stage fittings/hoses seems stressed by wing when fully inflated. and I can't adjust this to make the first stage higher as it will bang my head. is this the same case as yours? (Attaching image below, hoping u know what i meant).

spstress.jpg

Thanks,
Kebo

Mine are down, the opposite of your photo It's a much lower profile so less to snag and less likely for head bumps.

Also, if you have them, get rid of the hose protectors, they trap water and cause corrosion of the fittings. Also, some people think they're handles and will try to pickup your tank with them.

I use a Knighthawk BCD with my scuba pro regulators. I keep the BCD low enough on the tank that the hoses don't get stressed plus the BCD isn't as high as my wing.

Turret up = easier to reach hoses. Best for newbs.
Turret down = lower profile.
Neither is wrong, or right.

I use a Knighthawk BCD with my scuba pro regulators. I keep the BCD low enough on the tank that the hoses don't get stressed plus the BCD isn't as high as my wing.

Ah i got you. The problem here is i'm using my SP reg with wing. Its sort of "incompatible"....

Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added April 28th, 2015 at 04:40 PM ----------

Turret up = easier to reach hoses. Best for newbs.
Turret down = lower profile.
Neither is wrong, or right.

Thanks, Rigdiver!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

throwing out an alternative, but if you are using a suicide strap/necklace for your octo, then sideways is a perfectly acceptable alternative. Octo comes out of the bottom, inflator comes out of the front side of the turret, primary on the rear towards the tank. Smallest profile, but need an angle adapter or 5/7' hose for the primary, but it's the best single tank reg setup I've found.

Looks like your tank is too low on the bc despite you saying it will hit your head. It should be able to come up another inch or two easily. Are you using a crotch strap and is the rig fit properly? BP/W's sit surprisingly low compared to many other rigs....

Hi tbone1004,

thanks for the suggestion.

The setup you mentioned sounds like HOG setup or Tech setup. S600/MK25 doesn't come with that configuration unfortunately. The primary reg hose is 30" and octo hose is 39". not that ideal for tech setup. I like the setup you mentioned though, it's streamlined.

I setup my BP in which I can still touch the top of BP with my hand. and then I adjusted the tank accordingly. The setup I have now is the lowest on BC I can have and still banging my head, well the upper tank strap already at the highest position of the tank it can grab. If I raise the tank higher (bc lower), the first stage even sits behind my head.

seems either I have weird posture, or MK25/S600 it not meant for BP/W's...

Cheers,
Kebo

throwing out an alternative, but if you are using a suicide strap/necklace for your octo, then sideways is a perfectly acceptable alternative. Octo comes out of the bottom, inflator comes out of the front side of the turret, primary on the rear towards the tank. Smallest profile, but need an angle adapter or 5/7' hose for the primary, but it's the best single tank reg setup I've found.

Looks like your tank is too low on the bc despite you saying it will hit your head. It should be able to come up another inch or two easily. Are you using a crotch strap and is the rig fit properly? BP/W's sit surprisingly low compared to many other rigs....

the MK25 is certainly not "meant" for bp/w's, no regulators are, but they're just regulators. It works just fine. You should have the tank no lower than you can comfortably manipulate the valve by reaching behind your head. The first stage should nest in the gap behind your neck. You can use the 39" hose with an angle adapter for the primary, and get away with a 30" hose for the octo for now to try it out, and move to a 22" later if you like it. It is a safer setup and the 1m hose is perfectly fine for the primary hose with an angle adapter. Not sure where you are, but if in the US, Dive Gear Express and Cave Adventurers have angle adapters for pretty cheap.

This btw is by far the safest/most efficient/most streamline regulator configuration as long as you aren't in a drysuit. It also is convenient for those of us diving doubles because we just have to move one hose over to the left post and it looks exactly like that setup. Also gives you the advantage of a flatter profile which is less prone to hitting your head. It's worth the $50 or so to get it set up properly.

Cave Adventurers - Swivel - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
$25 for the adapter

Cave Adventurers - Regulator Hoses (Kevlar) - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
$19 for an 18 or 22" regulator hose, and you're good to go

i'm regular for DGE, thanks, i will try that, love the streamline. But first I will try to sort it out how to avoid my wing stresses the regs without banging my head to the reg. will play around on the rig setup.

my 1m hose is yellow color as it's octo's hose. not sure if there's a difference in quality/performance with primary hose (black).

probably i need purchase 2 hoses.

the MK25 is certainly not "meant" for bp/w's, no regulators are, but they're just regulators. It works just fine. You should have the tank no lower than you can comfortably manipulate the valve by reaching behind your head. The first stage should nest in the gap behind your neck. You can use the 39" hose with an angle adapter for the primary, and get away with a 30" hose for the octo for now to try it out, and move to a 22" later if you like it. It is a safer setup and the 1m hose is perfectly fine for the primary hose with an angle adapter. Not sure where you are, but if in the US, Dive Gear Express and Cave Adventurers have angle adapters for pretty cheap.

This btw is by far the safest/most efficient/most streamline regulator configuration as long as you aren't in a drysuit. It also is convenient for those of us diving doubles because we just have to move one hose over to the left post and it looks exactly like that setup. Also gives you the advantage of a flatter profile which is less prone to hitting your head. It's worth the $50 or so to get it set up properly.

Cave Adventurers - Swivel - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
$25 for the adapter

Cave Adventurers - Regulator Hoses (Kevlar) - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
$19 for an 18 or 22" regulator hose, and you're good to go

Back
Top Bottom