Redundant Gas - thinking through my options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see the rumbustious and off topic cyber buddies are at it again. Steel 12 lt. doubles is my preference over alloy, since I dive cold water all year round and don’t need to add a V-weight. I also use 11 lt. alloy doubles when available for hire while on vacation. When I select equipment to purchase, I want it to be multi-functional, cost effective, simple, and durable. Doubles make difficult wreck penetrations manageable while allowing you to sling a 5.7 lt. alloy pony for emergencies. For some deep wreck penetration I’ve had to leave my decompression bottles outside. Try both configurations; you may also consider 7 lt. steel doubles.

I like my gear to be detachable and flexible, hence, fixing a pony to your single tank may not suit everyone. Solo divers may prefer clutter free. Choice is yours to decide. As a contingency for gas loss—what works for solo divers may not work for ad hoc buddies in need of gas.

As others have stated: 5.7 lt. alloy pony/stage bottles may not be adequate for light decompression. Although, I see many technical divers use a pony for light deco and bail out. I know divers who only use them while staying within their NDL, bounce dives, as emergency gas. They don’t affect buoyancy in any way. Ideal for decompression dives, where carrying three 11 lt. bottles becomes cumbersome. Mostly used with O2.

Whatever configuration you consider, ensure you have adequate lift when going deep. Understand gas logistics: SAC, RMV, turn pressure, best mix, and decompression gasses. Accelerated decompression using 50 to 100% is ideal if you plan to do two dives to 6 Ata (4 hour SI) a day and there is nothing to see in the deep blue sea. Otherwise for extended bottom times, think about using Nitrox back gas while using 32 to 50% decompression gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom