How long did it take you to become comfortable in a drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How long did it take you to become comfortable in a drysuit?

My first and only drysuit (custom DUI CF200 with DUI Thinsulate undergarment, purchased new ca. 1993) was at the time such an *expensive* purchase for me that I'm not sure if I was immediately comfortable wearing it, or if I simply convinced myself I was! I had been diving wet since 1987 at the time.

Joking aside, I think the fact that the suit was fit to me meant that I didn't suffer the same growing pains that a couple of my friends (who had purchased non-custom drysuits) had when we all began wearing our new drysuits. Maybe, as some above suggest, it was simply that the drysuit bubble I had to manage was much smaller. Or maybe it was simply that, because of the personalized cut of the suit, I didn't have to struggle to reach whatever it was I was reaching for. Or maybe it was because I had to wear significantly less Pb than my friends who had purchased trilaminate suits. (Crushed neoprene is a heavy material, and also a bit warmer so allows a bit thinner undergarment than a shell suit!) But, by the time my repetitive dive had ended on my first day in the suit, I was completely comfortable wearing it, despite the new "practicalities/restrictions" of wearing a drysuit (e.g., being mindful of turning leftside-up or feet-up, etc.).

BTW, I'm still quite comfortable diving the suit to this day, though it fits a bit tighter than when I first began wearing it. I had the zipper replaced once (when I had a zipper guard and pockets installed). And this year I'll probably have the neoprene fold-under neck and wrist seals replaced for the first time.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Morning / evening all,

I've done around 250 dives in a wetsuit and feel at one with the sea....

so i can dive around my amazing, but cold shores in the UK i've invested heavily in a drysuit. i've done 6 dives in my drysuit and simply, i just don't trust my drysuit.

i have found with my weighting i don't need to use my wing and i only just take the pinch off the suit and i'm fine.

i find drysuit diving slightly more restrictive than wetsuit diving, such as without thinking, tilting to the left to look and dumping air out of the suit. is this the reality of drysuit diving, it simply is more restrictive in body movements or do some of you guys not notice?

most divers can adjust to a drysuit in 10 dives or so.

thanks guys for your reponses. impretty sure the fits nicely, in the shop i did all the squats and reaching behind my back and was all reached easily enough. i dive with a fourth element argonaut, essentially a urusuit kevlar i think.

i do feel comfortable i think i have a mild fear of over inflating my suit so next dive i may try putting a bit more air in the suit.

honestly, i think i'm over thinking it, just need to do some consecutive dives and i'll be fine.

It took my about 5 dives dry to get comfortable with it, and another 3 or so to get my weight and buoyancy all dialed in. If you feel restricted, maybe try a different size or model drysuit, not every brand will fit everyone the same!

To feel comfortable in it, 10 dives is not uncommon. To have the same trim and control as a wetsuit, ~30 dives. After 50 dive, you should dive it better than the wetsuit!

6-10 dives, I think. I "thought" I was comfortable my first 2 dives. Then I had a couple of incidents after changing my seals and a couple of other pieces of gear. So around 6 dives I was nervous about it again. A couple more dives after that and I was comfortable again. Keep at it and it will come along in a few more dives, I suspect. I don't think I'd ever be quite as "comfortable" in a drysuit as a wetsuit but I'm moving toward only diving dry so hopefully someday I will be.

seeing we routinely dive water temps in the 40's, I was comfortable in a dry suit the first time I used it.... Thats just too damn cold for diving wet... :D

First dive.

I did maybe my first 150 dives wet and from the very first dive in a dry suit I felt at home. I did one dive in a pool - which was easy - followed by a quarry dive - again easy, followed by the Atlantic ocean and from the first one I prefered it to wetsuit diving.

I went dry after maybe 100 dives and good CMAS** skills.

As opposed to Bad CMAS** skills?

I was told it would take about 20 dives. After 3 or 4 I thought I had dry suit diving sorted. Only after 20 dives did I realise I had been slowly getting more and more comfortable and confident. Actually I think it took longer than that, plus finding the right suit for me, to be completely at home. It isn't that learning the basics is hard, it really isn't, it's just that over time you make small, incremental improvements and with hindsight realise that you have been getting better and better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom