Drysuit zip repairs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arbu

Registered
Reaction score
How do I go about getting my drysuit zip repaired? Maybe it can be done without replacing the whole zip, I don't know. If the whole zip does need replacing then that seems to approach the cost of a new drysuit. I've had the suit for eight years, but only used it about a dozen times, so it's a bit annoying. It's actually a sailing drysuit, made by GUL, but my google search suggested this forum, of which I am already a member, so I thought I'd post here, as I'm sure that the same companies repair diving and sailing drysuits.

Thanks

IMG_20240112_134723[1].jpg

If you're feeling particularly crafty or DIY, you can likely replace the zip yourself. That one is definitely end of life and will need total replacement.

as example

How do I go about getting my drysuit zip repaired? Maybe it can be done without replacing the whole zip, I don't know. If the whole zip does need replacing then that seems to approach the cost of a new drysuit. I've had the suit for eight years, but only used it about a dozen times, so it's a bit annoying. It's actually a sailing drysuit, made by GUL, but my google search suggested this forum, of which I am already a member, so I thought I'd post here, as I'm sure that the same companies repair diving and sailing drysuits.
Do not use a sailing dry suit for scuba! (not that I thought you were, just making sure, it isn't safe if it doesn't have a inflation valve).

You will need to replace that whole zipper to be water tight. The same companies should be able to work on both types of suits.

As mentioned you fix that by replacing it. It looks like you are over stressing the ends putting the suit on, is it to tight?

As mentioned you fix that by replacing it. It looks like you are over stressing the ends putting the suit on, is it to tight?
No, it's a good fit. Maybe I pulled too hard on the zip to close it in the past, to ensure it was fully closed. But I don't really think I did.

That zipper is definitely a goner. It needs to be replaced.
Cost of a repair varies around €300 in my country. Well below the cost of a new dry-suit.
Just get it repaired and enjoy the suit for some more years.

That zipper is definitely a goner. It needs to be replaced.
Cost of a repair varies around €300 in my country. Well below the cost of a new dry-suit.
Just get it repaired and enjoy the suit for some more years.
I think I can get it repaired for about £200. A new sailing drysuit is about £300 so not much more. Repairs will probably take a month, I'm on holiday in March, after which it will be warm enough to sail in my wetsuit. So I'll leave it until the summer to sort it out. Maybe I'll see a good deal somewhere.

If you're feeling particularly crafty or DIY, you can likely replace the zip yourself. That one is definitely end of life and will need total replacement.

as example

This is spot on... I have reached out to that guy many times and he's always on point and helps, great guy. I haven't tackled a zipper yet but have done just about everything else.

@Arbu if you go slow, do lots of prep it's not hard to fix drysuits. (It is time consuming). The cool thing is if you screw up a little bit of heat and you can pull things back apart and redo. Just watch that video a few times and give it a shot. I'm very happy with the different things I've done, they look professional and they just cost me just the parts (and my time).

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom