Could these threads on a plastic zip cause my drysuit to leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for advice. I’ll give this a shot when I get a chance.
Those grey areas could be the zipper delaminating but I can’t tell if it’s just not very clean see an example on one of my suits. But a leak test will tell you

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpeg
    IMG_0328.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4450.jpeg
    IMG_4450.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4447.jpeg
    IMG_4447.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 40
If memory serves the early YKK plastic zips has some tooth problems, something like individuals teeth breaking loose from the main body tape and moving on their own, out of alignment. If the suit is 10 years old it may be time for a replacement zip.

I did a leak test with a spray bottle - faster than a bath tub, and effective if you know where you’re looking. Unfortunately it shows it’s leaking in the split on the inside at the end of the zip. Here’s a screenshot from the video I took. Looks like I’m up for a new zip.
Given how much it’s leaking I’m somewhat surprised I wasn’t wetter after diving. Just found another reason to dive in trim.
Ed: thanks everyone for the good advice. I just wish you were all wrong!

Attachments

• IMG_6931.jpeg
    IMG_6931.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 28
Thin up some aquaseal and brush it on the split, let it soak in.
Thanks for the glimmer of hope. I’ve used a bit of aquaseal after cleaning with acetone. I will test it again tomorrow or the weekend. The aquaseal was runny enough as it was so didn’t thin it further.

Thin up some aquaseal and brush it on the split, let it soak in.
Yeah, I think because that split hasn't made it all the way to the dicking end you may be able to seal it up. Even aquasealing a thin piece of neoprene over that area of the zip-end may reinforce it but it will make the suit bulky in that area. Not something I normally recommend but when people want to save a zipper for a bit longer it can help in certain situations.

Yeah, I think because that split hasn't made it all the way to the dicking end you may be able to seal it up. Even aquasealing a thin piece of neoprene over that area of the zip-end may reinforce it but it will make the suit bulky in that area. Not something I normally recommend but when people want to save a zipper for a bit longer it can help in certain situations.
The other question is what is the consequence of the zipper failing.
It's less of a big deal on recreational dives vs cave or technical.

I repeated the leak test on the end of the zip this morning and the repair is holding pressure. I agree reinforcing it is a good idea. I’ll use a short piece of latex tape. Not a huge fan of neoprene.

The other question is what is the consequence of the zipper failing.
It's less of a big deal on recreational dives vs cave or technical.
Correct. Hence why its not something I usually recommend. But at the end of a commercial divers season when they have one or two days left of diving before the harvest ends, I can make something work for them before they drop their suit in for a proper repair (Although they are commercial divers - they'll drop it in the day before they need to dive it regardless 🙃).

Some people also can't afford a full zipper replacement at the time so I try to accommodate where possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom