First Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gelirfella

Contributor
Reaction score
New diver. Looking ahead into winter and realizing I want to be able to continue diving locally as much as possible. Realistically most of my diving will be local. Seems like drysuit really opens a lot of doors as far as expanding opportunities to dive.

Seaskin seems to be the way to go. Below I’ve listed the options I am considering after reading through a bunch of threads.

I am a thin guy. Thoughts?

Nova suit

Fully telescopic torso
Plastic zipper with dry zipper cover
Sitech trigon P-valve
Orust neck
Oval cuffs
DIR dump valve location
Sitech valves
Inflation valve comfort patch
Neoprene socks
Kevlar knee pads
40 mm braces
Large zip pockets on bilateral legs (outside)
Computer straps on both arms

At about 1400 bucks it’s hard to argue with this I think given the longitudinal experience people have with this company.

Anything I should rethink on here?

Having had both, I prefer the tinkle over the trigon
I would back down from the Orust, I hear the retaining clips are not that great.

Having had both, I prefer the tinkle over the trigon
I would back down from the Orust, I hear the retaining clips are not that great.

Sounds like mixed reviews on the P-valves for the LM vs. the trigon. Unsure if there is a significant difference. What do you like better about the LM?

As for Orust, the other quick change neck seal is reportedly stiff and wide in diameter. I am narrow shouldered so I hear it can cause difficulty with the straps.

I would recommend a front zip suit; you didn't mention if you were getting a front or rear zip, or the suit material.
I find front zip easier to don/doff, and you don't need assistance.
Trilam suits are great for travel, light and quick-drying; neoprene are heavier and take ages to dry.

I would recommend a front zip suit; you didn't mention if you were getting a front or rear zip, or the suit material.
Trilam suits are great for travel, light and quick-drying; neoprene are heavier and take ages to dry.
Nova is the front zip suit.

I wouldn’t do the knee pads, I prefer the standard dump location but this is your first suit so you’ll get used to it wherever it’s is.

the standard braces are fine but it’s like the dump valve location, you get used to it.

comfort patch is unnecessary as are the computer straps, in my opinion.

other than those few things it looks perfect.

I wouldn’t do the knee pads, I prefer the standard dump location but this is your first suit so you’ll get used to it wherever it’s is.

the standard braces are fine but it’s like the dump valve location, you get used to it.

comfort patch is unnecessary as are the computer straps, in my opinion.

other than those few things it looks perfect.

Am I right in saying that a drysuit is really a game changer if you live in an area without year round warm water? It strikes me that this single piece of gear changes your potential for getting dives in substantially and becomes necessary in many locations for deep dives.

Yeah, nova is front zip. Back zip would be the option if I was changing it, but will stick with front.

Having used both P valves you won't notice a difference. I think it's slightly easier to clean the LM because you can close it and let whatever solution sit for ~ 15 seconds vs just letting it flow through the Trigon.

Both pee the same

Am I right in saying that a drysuit is really a game changer if you live in an area without year round warm water? It strikes me that this single piece of gear changes your potential for getting dives in substantially and becomes necessary in many locations for deep dives.
Yes. You can dive longer in colder water. Change undergarments to suit your needs. And it's adds redundancy (wing and drysuit inflation) if you ever move onto doubles.

I find drysuit diving even worth while in warmer water... just better during the SI on a boat.

Yeah, nova is front zip. Back zip would be the option if I was changing it, but will stick with front.
Never get a back zip, you'll regret it.

As far as pads and all that.. I got everything on my 1st Seaskin suit. If I ever get another suit I'll dumb it down and maybe just get the shoulder pads. The material really does feel like it's built like a tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom