First Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I right in saying that a drysuit is really a game changer if you live in an area without year round warm water? It strikes me that this single piece of gear changes your potential for getting dives in substantially and becomes necessary in many locations for deep dives.
It can be a game changer depending on where you are diving and your tolerance for those temps.

Never get a back zip, you'll regret it.

As far as pads and all that.. I got everything on my 1st Seaskin suit. If I ever get another suit I'll dumb it down and maybe just get the shoulder pads. The material really does feel like it's built like a tank.
Back zip is inconvenient at worst but it’s never my first choice.

Never get a back zip, you'll regret it.

As far as pads and all that.. I got everything on my 1st Seaskin suit. If I ever get another suit I'll dumb it down and maybe just get the shoulder pads. The material really does feel like it's built like a tank.

I wouldn’t do the knee pads, I prefer the standard dump location but this is your first suit so you’ll get used to it wherever it’s is.

the standard braces are fine but it’s like the dump valve location, you get used to it.

Knee pads axed.

Will switch back to the standard braces, i have narrow shoulders anyways.

Tailor to get measurements? Or does everyone just do it themselves following the guide.

Tailor to get measurements? Or does everyone just do it themselves following the guide.
I used a tailor, but I have since read that someone just measured themselves with the help of a friend / spouse. They did it ~ 3 times and just took the highest of all three measurements. Not one person that I can recall says their suit was too loose... most (including myself) say a little too tight (but it did break in / get better.... maybe with experience?)

I had my wife take my measurements while I read the directions to let her know where, I use those same measurements from 2014 for any suit ordered since (printed them out and copied them onto the form) my second suit was the ultra and they had my measurements on file. My newest suit I copied the numbers and retook a few of the newer ones they had added since the first time.

I would get the unbalanced LM p-valve. I hate balanced p-valves. I have no idea why balanced p-valves are even a thing.

I would get the unbalanced LM p-valve. I hate balanced p-valves. I have no idea why balanced p-valves are even a thing.
Why? (I have zero experienced with unbalanced)

Because sooner or later the duckbill valve will fail and you'll piss yourself. There is zero advantage in using a balanced valve over using an unbalanced one.
Ahhh... that's fine, wouldnb't be the 1st, won't be the last:) Not worth changing now.

Don't you have to "charge" the unbalanced one before you dive?

Don't you have to "charge" the unbalanced one before you dive?
No.
I hear that all the time from people. I have no idea where that nonsense comes from. I have never used the valves before I'm in the water and well into the dive.

Back
Top Bottom