Trident weight mold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opie712

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to make some weights and was looking at this mold, trying to see if any one was using it and how much weight they could get in it. I'm looking to make some 1, 2, 3, 4, 5# weights

I bought it, the one from leisure pro. It works pretty good but it's hard to know for sure what the weights weigh without a scale. Also the mold is not made of iron or steel, it's aluminum and it will melt quite easily with heat applied to it.

In one night though I imagine I made 50lbs of weight.

I still prefer soft weights though and I think it's worth the extra money to just make those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The handle will break. and, remember, it's a mold, not a melting pot. The aluminum won't melt if you don't apply flame to it, pour your melted lead into it, don't melt the lead in it....

^ Exactly what he said

We tried heating the mold slightly to get better molds and tried some parafin wax

This was the first night
b378cd3e94a8dc5c9d2f1a568be833bf.jpg

And what happens if you put to much heat on it

a6ce75c0e7f03bffcca5701b0e49b9f9.jpg

Slightly pre-heating the mold is beneficial. Also, using soot from a candle on the inside helps to promote release of the weight. And as mentioned, don't use the handle to pound the mold on the back porch in an attempt to get the weight out.. gentle tapping and maybe prying is better.

Just get the lead hot in a seperate pot scrape all the junk off thats floating on top of the moltin lead. Pour one weight let it set up , this heats the mold up. Then remove the first weight and pour the second one in a hot mold. Remelt the first weight and carry on. A good rosebud torch does wonders.

if i remember correctly the trident mold i got can only do a little over 4 lbs when filled to the brim.

similar to DD's method:

1) coated the inside walls of the mold with a thick layer of soot using a gas burner with a yellow flame.
2) melted lead in a old pan, removing dirt and other stuff floating on the molten lead before pouring
3) left the mold pre-heated in an electric stove. (i noticed that if you pour the lead on a cold mold, the initial volume of lead hitting the mold solidifies instantly - trapping air as you pour more lead. i dont think this is important though, just cosmetic - for an even looking surface)
4) i take the loaded mold off the hot plate and let it cool enough that the lead solidifies.
5) i cool it in running water (was thinking the lead might shrink a bit after cooling and might come off easier). then i start tapping the mold on a piece if wood, until the lead comes off. i was not aware that the handle breaks off easily as posted above, and on some occasions i was banging the mold with lead on the wood pretty hard - so far, with close to a 100 pcs made, the mold still looks new (aside from all the soot)

Eutopia-Dive-0180.jpgEutopia-Dive-150555.jpgEutopia-Dive-0177.jpg

Last edited:
What they said. The only trick I can add is if you want nice smooth, uniform backs to your weights, LIGHTLY play your oxy-acetylene torch over the newly-poured weight as it sits in the mould. This will give it a finish like a mirror.

Ok tried a few the only problem I'm having I'm melting the lead over a turkey deep fryer but the very top layer of lead is not liquid and shinny will it help to put a torch and a little heat from the top side of the melting pan to keep everything hot and shinny

My buddy uses a cast iron bowl and ladle, he lets it heat up real good and then slowly adds lead. Imagine if you have to much surface area that the top layer may cool to fast and not have enough heat to keep it liquid

Back
Top Bottom