Trident weight mold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok tried a few the only problem I'm having I'm melting the lead over a turkey deep fryer but the very top layer of lead is not liquid and shinny will it help to put a torch and a little heat from the top side of the melting pan to keep everything hot and shinny
That sounds more like the dross that needs to be skimmed off.

If u get the mold hot and keep it hot you don't need anything to make the weight come out.

I skim it off but in a few seconds its back to the way it was

Are you using tire weights? They have a fair amount of (I think) antimony in them to keep them hard. It's called hard lead, and it's fine for scuba lead, but you have to cook it forever to get the antimony to stop floating to the surface. Battery lead is the bomb if you can crack the cases safely and have a method for dealing with the sulfur. Probably best not to do that one in the back yard.

The best is the lead foil that comes with X-ray film. I got containers of the stuff from my dentist dive buddy. Super clean and melts instantly since it is so thin. No waste dross, so you can weigh the right amount before you pour.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Yea I'm using tire weights from the company that brings our equipment tires it was free so I can't complain

Try using a Flux to keep the antimony suspended. We use a wood stick to stir the pot before a pour when casting bullets and ingots with wheel weights. Wax works too but smokes a lot. Just stir and the stick will burn and Flux it. Just skim the char off the top

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom