Ordered Light from LDS. Two months later still hasn't arrived

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To an extent that is true. Depending on the mfg and item however it may be that a shop has a minimum amount it must order to place that order. If not it does not, then it doesn't get shipped OR they pay a hefty fee for getting one item sent to them. A fee that they either eat or must pass on to the customer. One mfg a a few years ago required something like $5000 to get free or reduced shipping costs to the shop. That was what the owner told me. Now if you're in a busy area and ordering in a dozen regs, half a dozen BC's, and some other items that's not too hard to do. For smaller shops in land locked areas that can be a real hardship. One poster who used to be on here a lot had his local shop lose their dealership for a big brand after 30 yrs as a dealer. The reason, the regional rep decided they were not buying enough gear to bother with them. There are mfg's who don't require a minimum order and while they may add a little on it's not abusive.

Outrageous unless you we're told up front that there would be a delay. I recently ordered an item from Japan. Arrived in four days!

Unless you were warned of a delay and/or given a resonable explanation and firm arrival date, cancel the order and contact your credit card company.

The LDS I do most business with has told me, with great regret, that the industry supply system is so bad, I should just order stuff they don't stock online, as I'll get it much faster than they can get it.

Something is very amiss in this "industry."

The problem seems to be that they won't go around the system, which would tend correct it in a hurry.
I managed a business and would special order off the internet, bump my cost to make a profit, and everyone was happy. Granted if I used my system I could make more, but if it wouldn't work right for some things, I'd go around it to keep a customer. Of course I wasn't the only shop in the area.

Bob

That shop is messed up. I would say demand your momey back, then just order from DGX and call it the day. Afterward, please disclose the shop's name so other potential buyer can be aware

I paid in full for the product. I purchased it on July 20, 2015. No one called me until I called them on September 03. When I called they informed me that the light was at the border. They also said that the owner is unable to go get it because she was on a dive holiday and is Jet-Lagged.
I know there are services that will receive goods near the border and hold them to avoid the higher shipping costs, customs and duty. Technically, when the person getting their stuff on the US side of the border travels back into Canada they are supposed to report what they have and pay the duty. It does avoid shipping hassles if you are close enough to the border and can be done fully legally. It can also be done in a way that import duty is avoided.

I know there are services that will receive goods near the border and hold them to avoid the higher shipping costs, customs and duty. Technically, when the person getting their stuff on the US side of the border travels back into Canada they are supposed to report what they have and pay the duty. It does avoid shipping hassles if you are close enough to the border and can be done fully legally. It can also be done in a way that import duty is avoided.
these services are only of use if you are trying to do something illegal like avoid duty or smuggle some contraband.

if you are aboveboard, using USPS / Canada Post combo is the simplest, fastest & cheapest means to get something delivered right to your door (or a few blocks away if you need to pay duty via local postal outlet). I do this regularly and rarely get dinged for duty (about 1 in 10 packages).

I paid for an item, waited, waited, waited. Then received a (truely lousy) substitute with a letter of apology and suggestion to try this or return if not satisfied. It's been a year and the refund has never arrived.

Think of some event (real or imagined) for which you MUST have the light. Give them a fairly generous deadline, but make it clear that that is the deadline -and make it stick so you don't have to dance the whole dance in the future. Tell them you need delivery by then, or your buddy/brother/etc will bring you the same item from his LDS because you MUST have yours by that date for that event. They can offer you a loaner, a substitute, etc. but just say politely "no, I want mine from you or then from the other guy if you can't do it". They might try to be hard sell but if you repeat yourself word-for-word they give up sooner.

Last edited:
UPS, Fedex, USPS are all the same. The ridiculous fee is called "duty", curtesy of your elected government. Not the fault of the carrier. Although I agree that Fedex and UPS items seemed to get dinged with duty most often.
That's not the whole story though. There's also often a "handling fee" or "brokerage fee," which is charged by the carrier and varies wildly between carriers. Some charge a flat $50 per parcel, independent of the value of the item, or other ridiculous charges. This is why it can be easier and cheaper to have the item delivered to a location across the border and then you go and pick it up yourself, even if you properly go through the customs process and pay the duty. Downside is that you may end up paying taxes twice if the delivery location is in the same state as the original seller.

+1 to the advice FinnMom provided.

these services are only of use if you are trying to do something illegal like avoid duty or smuggle some contraband.

I'm not sure how using the service makes anybody a smuggler... As long as you delcare everything and have the reciept there's nothing illegal about it.

In some cases the international rates are higher than the duty you'd pay at the border, in other cases you can get "Free shipping anywhere in the US" and use this system to avoid shipping costs altogether.

Just called the shop.

Said they would have it 3 days ago. Still do not have it.

Told ad the person who answered the phone that I want my cash back.
He said he couldn't do it.

What at should I do if I go there and they don't have the light or they do have it.

Do they have to give me the money back even if they have it there.

Originally they said no, now they might.

Do do I have to accept the light.

Didn't seem to to care it was never there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom