How are the dema show location and timing selected?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveNewsWire

Contributor
Reaction score
DEMAShow_DNW-100x100.png
DEMAShow_DNW-100x100.png
DEMA Show, the annual trade-only event for the dive industry, attracts almost 10,000 diving professionals each year. DEMA Show venues are selected to create the best trade show experience, taking into account the diverse geographic, show timing and overall cost needs of Attendees and Exhibitors. Venues are selected three to five years in advance of…
The post HOW ARE THE DEMA SHOW LOCATION AND TIMING SELECTED? appeared first on DiveNewswire.

More...

Attachments

• DEMAShow_DNW-100x100.png
    DEMAShow_DNW-100x100.png
    22 KB · Views: 71
Has is EVER been anywhere but Vegas and Orlando?

Has is EVER been anywhere but Vegas and Orlando?

Best shows were in New Orleans. Worst ever shows in Houston, Miami, Miami Beach, and San Francisco. I hate it in Vegas and Orlando, but it's better to have a boring but decent venue than a really bad one. I'd sure like to go back to New Orleans, though.

I'm curious. Why were Houston, SF, miami and Miami beach, the worst? What's the magic?

For the show boothholder: San Francisco convention center has an extremely strong union. Most venues will allow you to carry in your own booth if you can hand carry it, but in San Francisco, a teamster had to do it. It doubled the cost of a booth. San Francisco overall is very expensive.

Miami Beach is terrible to deal with the traffic. There is no parking anywhere nearby. It's horrendously expensive.

Houston was just a terrible show. I don't know why, but the lethargy was exceptional. Houston is actually a pretty good place to live, but who would ever want to visit there?

New Orleans was the bomb. It's relatively inexpensive to stay there, the partying is exceptional, the food is awesome, and it's right in the middle of the country. Too bad it will be underwater soon.

Too bad it will be underwater soon.

Which could make for an interesting site for a diving trade show...

Outrageously expensive labor. You need a union electrician to run a power cord, a union decorator to put your banner on the table, a union teamster to move your gear from the dock to the table, etc.

For the show boothholder: San Francisco convention center has an extremely strong union. Most venues will allow you to carry in your own booth if you can hand carry it, but in San Francisco, a teamster had to do it. It doubled the cost of a booth. San Francisco overall is very expensive.

Miami Beach is terrible to deal with the traffic. There is no parking anywhere nearby. It's horrendously expensive.

Houston was just a terrible show. I don't know why, but the lethargy was exceptional. Houston is actually a pretty good place to live, but who would ever want to visit there?

New Orleans was the bomb. It's relatively inexpensive to stay there, the partying is exceptional, the food is awesome, and it's right in the middle of the country. Too bad it will be underwater soon.

Having attended many DEMA shows, starting with the 1st one in Miami, I agree with the Captain that New Orleans was always a favorite venue for all the reasons listed.
After Katrina New Orleans lost a lot of convention business. It is now coming back. It would be, IMO, a good choice for a 3rd spot in the DEMA SHOW rotation.

The locale needs to be warm as many exhibitors are coming from warmer destinations and are not equipped for cold weather.

Reactions: mdb
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom