Thread for the bearded divers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No issues for me... I may have a slight water intrussion every now and then, but over the last year and a half with a beard and 'stache no major issues to report.. i think the secret is in how soft the skirt is on the mask. I could be wrong, but thats what I think.

Wow, great to hear so many male divers are embracing the face fur! However, facial hair can sometimes look downright scary underwater. Example:

vlcsnap-2015-08-30-17h45m46s021.jpg

Never seen a sea creature quite like that!

EDIT: You lucked out, the pixel downgrade during upload is hiding the scary mustache details present in the original of this photo.

... However I seem to think that if they just find that one mask that just fits perfect they too could be leak free without all the hassle. I have helped hundreds over the years to find the correct fit for such situations.

I wish. I've tried countless masks and every one hits the bridge of my nose painfully and some smash the bottom of my nose as well.

I've used the AquaLung Wraparound 3 lens mask (with purge valve) almost forever because it's the only one that fits my nose structure. I'm finally springing for perscriptions to be installed and went looking for a new mask (currrent one is 13 years old and I don't want to put all that money for perscriptions into an old mask).

So - AquaLung no longer makes the Wraparound in anything but black (I prefer clear) and without a purge. Sucks. I tried almost every three lens mask out there but they are all medium to low volume and crush my nose. The black skirt I can live with but my mustache causes leaks - I can clear the mask but doing it continuously is an annoyance I'd rather not have to deal with.

Do you have any suggestions? Oh, also, I need the flat sides for a micro-camera mount. My guess is that I'm out of luck unless someone has a way to add a purge valve after the fact.

NOTE: Moderators please note I am not posting a response - I am posting a question.

Had to shave the stash. No matter how I trimmed I couldn't stop the leaks. So off came that stash. My wife says it improves my kissing also. :)

Left the goatee. Leave me looking a little Amish, but that's OK. My wife says it's appropriate because I'm kind of an 'Old Goat' When I finally hang up my fins I'll grow it back.

The varied results in this thread are very interesting. Yet another "rule" to diving that does not simply apply to everyone I suppose. The last time I went diving my mustache was about 2 months old. The next time I go I will have a 4 month plus stache. I'm eager to prove I can keep diving with no issues as my facial hair grows.

once it is long enough it seems to be watertight, the only time I had leaks was after my beard had been trimmed to 3mm, all was fine again a week later :D

Some of the mask manufacturer have very short "nose pocket seal"(not sure what it's called, hope u guys know what I meant) that doesn't touches the moustache... u may find it useful.

My presonal experience was no problem with moustache. The only time it gave me problem was when i tried to immitate the DM having his feet up head down vertically looking for the moray under an overhang where the water leaks into my mask and went straight into the nose.

Oh... I'm so stupid.

I have over 500 dives with a full beard and mustache. I usually shave my cheek area a little lower than normal where the mask hits my face. I also use a product called "Unpetroleum" on my mustache. It is similar to Vaseline except it has no petroleum products which will hurt themask materials. It is available at Whole Foods in a toothpaste type tube for about $7. I have no problems with leakage. Safe diving Vann

I started off with an expensive Atomic Frameless mask. I tried bunches of masks at my LDS and the Atomic gave me the best seal of them all, when trying them on in the store.

For my first 20'ish dives, I had to frequently clear my mask and thought I would just have to live with that because of my facial hair. Then a buddy got me to try his SeaVision mask, so I could see how nice the magenta lens is. The magenta lens was nice, but another thing I noticed was no leaking at all! I bought my own and learned that facial hair does not have to mean putting up with constant leaking. It's just a matter of finding the right fit.

I also agree that having a little stubble (say, 2 days growth, for me) causes more leaking than anything.

I usually have some degree of facial hair, and never have any issues with my mask leaking. Recently I shaved, and go figure I spent that whole damn dive day purging water from my mask!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom