Poseidon Cyklon 5000 vs Cyklon 300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Things are slowing down here, so I'll see if I can jump start it. First can we clear up the 5000 2nd vs. the 300 2nd ? I have 1 of each torn apart here on the bench, all of the parts look the same and by pn are interchangeable. So are they the same? The 2 300's are metal body. Is there any advantage to the metal body ? Should I use the metal body on my 5000 ? It's easy to swap the guts, but to you, of more experience, are they the same ?

On th 1st stages, I have two 300's here. On both they are 4 ports labeled HP ,LP, R and U, on one it has a pn, the other none. Both have the short Din. So in the 300 gene pool they might be 2nd and 3rd generation ? At some point they went to 5 ports and 300 Din,,,,

I'am trying to keep track of all of this and deciide what to do with the 1st stages.

Fun to take them apart,,,, don O

donooo - I just signed up for my DM class here and when I explained to the shop I didn't want to have to buy gear that they sell - and then got the response "We will try hard not to laugh" - I have to admit I was a little offended. I have a full set of Poseidon regs (which they are not a dealer for btw) - instead they have alot of SP, Aqualung (blech), Apeks, and Mares.

Why does it seem divers dis on Poseidon - I have been extremely impressed by the simple design of these regs and their reputation for reliability is legendary from what I have read.

Also - any ideas where I can get replacement hoses for my cyklons???

5ata, first why don't you PM me with the name of the dive shop, for my intrest, and I will respond with a "local" source for hoses and some out of town sources as well.

Now, as to the Poseidon "cult", here's how it happened to me. When I first started looking at regs, a lot of people recomended the SP 250. When I went to check them out, they had just come out with a 500. A few months later I went to pick one up and they were in the process of being recalled. A few months later they came out with the 550. At no place can I say anything bad about SP, but the price was a lot to me and I needed some stability. On a parallel course at the same time, I kept looking into Akumal and the Costa Maya for more diving. It seemed that in every picture of someone in the caves the divers had some side exaust regs. I started more research and found out that lots of divers swore by them. At the same time I found out that they were expensive to buy, expensive to maintain and disliked by a lot. The dislike almost always came down to service problems and cost of service. Last I went to three shops in a row, where I found knowledable divers, not sales people, that dove Poseidon and loved them.

Also, there is a different "cult" out there that doesn't like the Cyklon because of it's high IP and the fact that they are hard to service underwater. The IP thing I don't understand. My primary and secondary are the same, so if one gets silted up on an open water dive, I'am probably low on air and cold anyway. Time to surface.
Last, Poseidon doesn't give out new Cyklons or Jetstreams every time someone wants to test regs. So you might be led to believe that they can't compete.

So, you don't have a lot of dive shops selling them, don't have any new reviews on a 30 year old reg, and the divers that use them tend to be on the "dark side", not your normal cattle boat diver. They use things like back inflation BC's or even BP/wings, are found in caves or wrecks or at depth and are at the least capable of independent research.

Over the winter I did a Dive Con class with a shop that wants me to wear the uniform. Well there goes my reg, my fins, computer and my BC, that I carefully researched to purchase what was/is best for me. I was told by a shop employee that I had to change regs because he didn't want to have to explain why I was diving with "that old thing". Later found out that he was an OW diver and had never heard of Poseidon.

Now at no place here am I bad mouthing any other Regulator. There are a bunch of divers on Scubaboard that love Poseidons, they seen to be comfortable with it and don't waste a lot of time defending them, just using them. In a lot of repects I might of been better of with an Apeks or a SP, but I know that I was a better diver the first time I used my Cyklon and it seems to late to back out now.

adios don O

The lettering on your 300 1st stage is "R" for regulator & "U" for Unisuit. The Unisuit port is slightly constricted, the "R" can blast away.
Jacques Cousteau used Poseidon Cyklons, Unisuits & the Poseidon FFMs when they made their Antarctic expedition, with an "Aqualung" sticker strategically placed over the Poseidon patch on the Unisuit. :wink:
The Poseidon used to be the reg of choice for the cavers but there was a prior US distributor that jacked the prices up sky high, and wound up not having either regs nor parts in stock. The black eye on their reputation from that dark period is still hanging around like a bad fart.
There is a lot of bogus info floating around regarding the regs, a lot gets parroted by "desk divers" with no real life experience with the things. Think "Urban Legend".
The topic has been pretty well beaten, a cruise through the archives will yield a pile of reading material.

All I know is that the things just work - I couldn't afford new so I purchased used just because and have been more than pleased with their performance here in the PacNW. I want to take them up to a lake in the cascades where the water temp hovers around 36 degrees year around and has 200 foot viz...

Seems like everyone gets caught up in the latest and greatest - especially with the "Made in the USA" banter floating around. But to be honest - if the design is tried and proven, why deviate. I mean - a design so well thought out that it is virtually unchanged in decades.. maybe the other companies could learn a thing or two...

Luis H:
I have no experience with the Cyklon 5000, but looking at the data it doesn’t look like it is very well balanced. The balancing chamber and the flow through orifice must not be the same size.

The Cyklon 5000 used the same 1st stage as the current Jetsream. It's not very well balanced and the IP does change a bit, but it's a lot better than the old model. I don't notice any perceptible change in breathing resistance with mine.

Bob3:
The 300s were particularly sneaky because you could suck a vacuum on a tank before noticing any breathing resistance. SPGs became a necessity when using a Cyklon.

Not true! Actually, because of the Cyklon's unnaturally high IP, breathing starts to become noticeably hard when the tank pressure drops past 170. This gives a significantly longer period to suck the tank dry than most any other reg out there (I know this from experience...)

Also, because it's not balanced, the breathing resistance changes quite a lot over the course of a dive so it's easy to guess what your tank pressure is. Of course, it gets easier to breathe rather than harder, so people used to piston regs might get confused. But it's not a problem if you're used to how the Cyklon performs.

donooo:
Things are slowing down here, so I'll see if I can jump start it. First can we clear up the 5000 2nd vs. the 300 2nd ? I have 1 of each torn apart here on the bench, all of the parts look the same and by pn are interchangeable. So are they the same? The 2 300's are metal body. Is there any advantage to the metal body ? Should I use the metal body on my 5000 ? It's easy to swap the guts, but to you, of more experience, are they the same ?

I already answered these questions in your other thread.

The metal body breathes better (imo) because the Cyklon's venturi assist works by directing the air through the mouthpiece. On the plastic Cyklons, they changed the shape slightly to match the Jetstream mouthpiece and it doesn't flow quite right.

Aside from the body tube, the plastic and metal Cyklons are completely identical. You can swap parts back and forth with no problems, although some of the soft parts from the older regs may have decayed and be no longer useable.

rgbmatt:
I already answered these questions in your other thread.

Yes you did, and thank you very much for that. As this tread had a number of other participants I thought I would try for one more opinion.

adios don O

I am a newbie in Sth East Asia diving Poseidon regs. I have an opportunity to travel to Vancouver, CA. Is there a Poseidon technician around there ?

Hi 19dohc
Here is the link to find shops when you get here
Poseidon=

please let me know if I can be of any more help

---------- Post added November 22nd, 2015 at 09:18 AM ----------

Hi rgbmatt
Not going to start a pissing match in here
But you need to get your facts right.
Are you a Poseidon technician?

Back
Top Bottom