Primary reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you very much for all the recommendations.
In the end I went for a DTD 400'.
It was the best trade off between a decent reel and the cheapest price.

Now I just need to get used to use a backup light on a side handle intead of a top mounted handle and I will start enjoying my new toy!

---------- Post added December 1st, 2015 at 01:27 AM ----------

I use Manta and HOG. Different styles but both excellent quality. The HOG Recon reel is machined as well as any reel I've seen. The clearance between the spool and frame edges will not easily allow the line to get trapped. Though you only need to loosen the screw a turn you still have a good 1/4 inch in the frame. Many reels have the screw going through maybe an 1/8 inch of material so it's easy to go too far and lose it. This one is not like that. Have an 800 here with 24 hi vis line on it. It's brand new. Make me an offer. You may get it.
The machining on the Manta primary is just as good. However it's a 400 ft with #24 line. I have #36 loaded on all my personal reels as I primarily dive wrecks and want the heavier line.

Thank you very much for the offer.
I am UK based, probably shipping would be more expensive than buying new on the local market :)

The Halcyon reel that I have has the end of the screw smashed in a tiny bit so that it cannot come out of the reel. I assume you could do that to nearly any reel if you can take the center spool out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom