OrcaTorch D610

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IVC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
LeisurePro has a special on OrcaTorch D610 for $100 and it seems to be a nice entry level canister light, but I cannot find any positive or negative reviews. Anyone has anything to share?

I am looking to use it for night open water dives, nothing technical. The appeal is that when fully charged it can last much longer than basic hand-held lights, so there is less chance of having it run out on a night dive.

Massive disclaimer: I handle marketing for Leisure Pro.

I was sent one of these lights (I'm a remote employee) for a project, but haven't taken it in the water beyond my pool yet. I normally use a similarly sized Archon canister light. Build quality and brightness seem fairly comparable.

Addressing your concern about lights running out on night dives, I've used a decent variety of lights including 8 D-cell lights, 4 C-cells, 3 AA's, and a variety of rechargeables. They've all been able to handle multiple dives of average time.

We're slammed with the holiday rush, so I doubt I'll be in open water before the new year, but I'll take it out ASAP so I can give a more complete review of it at that time if you've decided to hold off.

I might just go with it since the discount is quite significant. At that price point I'll be happy unless it is a complete lemon and either floods or sucks the batteries dry in no time, which you say it doesn't look like.

My cheapo chinese 3xCree LED, 26650 battery handheld lasts for like an 1.5-2 hours, easily enough for a nightdive, or even two. The most expensive part of that system was the batteries and charger(4 batteries and a charger cost more than 3 of those dive lights). A bit spotty quality on those, so buying multiples may be required. 3rd party o-rings and some silicone grease is also pretty much a required purchase for those.'

I'm just saying that handhelds can last just fine for night dives, especially if they use high power rechargable batteries like 26650. But $100 sounds like a decent price for a canister.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom