January in San Diego - bring some dive gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey,

I have a family wedding in San Diego in January. Are the conditions then worth adding a few days to get some dives in? Do the boats go out in January?

Have been in La Jolla cove a few times and once on a dive boat in the area. Any specific recommendations for operators, etc...?

Bring your gear. Dive season never ends here. I'll leave others to comment on favorite operators.

It's colder (well, maybe not this year), but viz in SoCal is better during the winter.

January is usually good diving here in SoCal. San Diego has a lot to offer, but If you haven't taken a dive boat to Catalina or the Oil rigs. then maybe give it a try. You will need to drive north to long beach area, but you can stay the night on board the night before if you wish.
Bring a camera, Lots to see above & below the surface.
Good Divin
SoCalRich

Thanks for all the great advice! Still working on logistics, but hope that I can make this happen...

Hey,

I have a family wedding in San Diego in January. Are the conditions then worth adding a few days to get some dives in? Do the boats go out in January?

Have been in La Jolla cove a few times and once on a dive boat in the area. Any specific recommendations for operators, etc...?

Waterhorse charters runs charters to wreck alley (Yukon/ruby e) both great dives, and they often go to the Coronados (first island string in Mexican waters, a touch over an hour boat ride) Coronados typically has excellent visibility

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom