Question San Diego Charter/Guide Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rat Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a last minute trip to San Diego next week and want to dive on Sunday 4/16. Ideally, I would like to take a charter boat for a couple of dives but can't find space available on charters that I can researched online.

Do you have any suggestions for charters I could try to see if there is space available or recommend a shop that I could hire a guide from for shore diving?

Dive guy is a local instructor and he rents the boat/spots.

I have never heard of scuba pros after been diving here for 10 years or so. I’ll be curious to hear your experience with them.

Thought I would report back on my experience with San Diego Scuba Pros…

As a reminder, I had a last minute work trip and wanted to take advantage being near the ocean again. Overall it was a good experience with friendly and professional dive masters but a little pricey. It is nicely suited to out of town divers who don’t have their own gear. I would recommend if it meets your needs.

Office staff and booking process was smooth. I was able to reserve a spot online and provide payment and cert info prior to arriving. They also promptly responded to a question that I had.

Pricing works best for those without their own gear. Price was $150 for all gear including wetsuit, regs, mask, fins, bc, flashlights, weights and tanks. However, I brought my own gear and they do not offer a discount which is a bit annoying.

We met at 700am at La Jolla cove. Dive masters and equipment were ready and awaiting guests. There were 9 in total. Many of the divers were from out of town with a mix from the UK, Germany, Asia, US and a couple of locals. We were divided into two groups based on experience.

Dive masters were friendly and professional but couldn’t resist teasing the divers a little about great white sharks in the neighborhood. We did see sharks but only docile and small horn sharks.

It’s always good to be in the water. Sea was calm with one foot waves. Visibility was only about 10 feet and it was a bit cloudy so not a lot of sun to lighten things up underwater. Saw loads of lobster, garibaldi, nudi’s, and several small fish in addition to the aforementioned sharks. Sea lions were entertaining as expected and we were buzzed on the swim out and underwater.

I did two dives and both were similar. We didn’t go very deep due to the visibility with max depth being 25’. Also, number of divers thinned out to 5 for second dive so only one group this time around.

Thanks for your follow up Rat Diver! Me and a couple buddies are going out there in a couple weeks and your review gives us a perfect heads up of what to expect. We’re looking forward to it!!

Thought I would report back on my experience with San Diego Scuba Pros…

As a reminder, I had a last minute work trip and wanted to take advantage being near the ocean again. Overall it was a good experience with friendly and professional dive masters but a little pricey. It is nicely suited to out of town divers who don’t have their own gear. I would recommend if it meets your needs.

Office staff and booking process was smooth. I was able to reserve a spot online and provide payment and cert info prior to arriving. They also promptly responded to a question that I had.

Pricing works best for those without their own gear. Price was $150 for all gear including wetsuit, regs, mask, fins, bc, flashlights, weights and tanks. However, I brought my own gear and they do not offer a discount which is a bit annoying.

We met at 700am at La Jolla cove. Dive masters and equipment were ready and awaiting guests. There were 9 in total. Many of the divers were from out of town with a mix from the UK, Germany, Asia, US and a couple of locals. We were divided into two groups based on experience.

Dive masters were friendly and professional but couldn’t resist teasing the divers a little about great white sharks in the neighborhood. We did see sharks but only docile and small horn sharks.

It’s always good to be in the water. Sea was calm with one foot waves. Visibility was only about 10 feet and it was a bit cloudy so not a lot of sun to lighten things up underwater. Saw loads of lobster, garibaldi, nudi’s, and several small fish in addition to the aforementioned sharks. Sea lions were entertaining as expected and we were buzzed on the swim out and underwater.

I did two dives and both were similar. We didn’t go very deep due to the visibility with max depth being 25’. Also, number of divers thinned out to 5 for second dive so only one group this time around.
What exposure suit did you bring? Drysuit? Semi dry? Wetsuit?

What exposure suit did you bring? Drysuit? Semi dry? Wetsuit?

Particularly for visitors not used to the cold water I’d recommend some variety of 7mm or drysuit. If you have a really good 5mm and run warm like me, you can get by but for most that would be too chilly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom