Atomic B2 freeflow adjustment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
uploadfromtaptalk1448464430447.jpg

Hi everyone. I recently bought a set of Atomic Aquatics B2 + Z2 Octo. The package comes with a SPG(unbranded)

I decided to test it in the pool before heading straight to the ocean. Just to be sure and safe.

As soon as I backroll into the pool, i realized there are bubble coming out from my Z2 Octo. So I just do the normal procedure to face the mouth piece down and the freeflow stop. Just out of curiosity, I turn up again and thr freeflow started. So, I turn it down again and plug it into the octo mouth piece holder.

I tried with my B2 primary 2nd stage. The moment I removed it from my mouth, it freeflowed. And again, i tried pointing the mouth piece down and it stopped. I tried adjusting the knob on the right, but I didn't feel any difference in terms of breathing resistance. So I remove it from the mouth and turn up the 2nd stage. It still freeflow.

The freeflow doesn't happen everytime but occasionally. The Z2 Octo is okay with the mouthpiece inside the holder.

I didn't bother to continue trying. But i did another experiment. I intentionally freeflowed the entire tank of air till 30bar remain and test if there is any difference in breathing when the tank is at low air, the result was as promised in the brochure. It breath the same on the first inhalation of air till the last air u take from the tank.

Anyway, i brought the regs to the ocean and used it. No problem. Unless u intentionally purge the reg and it'll freeflow until i turn the mouth piece down which is expected.

So, my question are

1) If i am to restrict the airflow just a little to reduce the chances of freeflow, do I remove the hose and adjust the drawing labelled with "initial adjustment".

2) if I do adjust the "initial adjustment" knob at the air inlet of the 2nd stage, will in also increase the resistance even more when I face up under the water..?

3) when I adjust the external knob, why didn't i feel any difference? Is it because i am not sensitive enough to feel it? Or isnitr just to shallow to feel it? (8feet depth)

Okay, my question

1) no, you shouldn't have to adjust the orifice

3) it sounds pretty well adjusted, but you may want to turn the adjustment knob about 1/8 to 1/4 to reduce the freeflow. you won't see a huge difference in cracking, but it is just enough to reduce the freeflow.

1) no, you shouldn't have to adjust the orifice

3) it sounds pretty well adjusted, but you may want to turn the adjustment knob about 1/8 to 1/4 to reduce the freeflow. you won't see a huge difference in cracking, but it is just enough to reduce the freeflow.
Thanks buddy.

If I do not know what I am doing, I would refrain from tinkering with vital equipment. I am sure the shop that sold you the regulator will be happy to adjust it for you the way you prefer.
slight bubbling with the mouthpiece turned upwards in the water is a sign that the regulator is tuned for maximum ease of breathing (lowest possible cracking pressure)
Say if I adjust the orifice by just a little, will it improve on the freeflow?

1/8th of a turn in the right direction
:wink: should do the trick, but be sure to depress the purge button when you turn the screw.

I find turning the knob on my Atomic does not make a dramatic difference like on some other regs.

The octo should come detuned so it does not freeflow and the knob on the octo should be turned clockwise to minimize freeflow unless it's used.

The main reg is set to freeflow with about an inch of water pressure so it will freeflow if placed mouthpiece up. When I swim on surface I turn the knob clockwise to minimize freeflow.

Say if I adjust the orifice by just a little, will it improve on the freeflow?
It will as long as there isn't other problem eg. too high IP.
Keep a mental note on how much you had turned and also keep your eyes on the height of the lever. A drop of 1mm is probably enough.
However, I do agree with Agility that you should let the shop do the "detuning" for you.

Thanks guys... maybe i'll just dive more with it and observe the situation.

Or get the octo holder with a piece shut into the octo mouthpiece opening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom