eagle rays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

22 dives!!!! I am as green as the sea turtles with envy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was bummed due to the lack of other afternoon divers I was hoping for 28, 'jake11' while Arizona is nice in the winter have you considered going back down during Carnival? I hope to be back then.

I was bummed due to the lack of other afternoon divers I was hoping for 28, 'jake11' while Arizona is nice in the winter have you considered going back down during Carnival? I hope to be back then.[/QU

Hmmmmmmm.... Would be fantastic!!! We would do those afternoon dives with you!!! If you keep up that pace we will be making your 1000 cake very soon!!!

do they ever head south? I've never seen one and would love to!

in Early December of 2014, i saw quite a few on the southern reefs, Columbia, Palancar Bricks, Palancar Gardens. There was one dive, can't remember exactly, where we saw 5 of them total, including a group of 3 together. In fact, for the last 3 December dive trips, December 2012, 2013, and 2014, we often saw at least 1 or 2 on dives in those areas. Many years ago, early 2000s (pre-Wilma), I had a dive on Santa Rosa Wall in January when there were a couple that came up from deep, soaring up the wall toward us before veering off.

OK here is a chance for my non diver specific side rant concerning Eagle Rays: Do not chase the Eagle rays with your Go Pro, you will appear as a sea monster to them and they will swim away. They really are better swimmers than you and you will not catch them but you may catch hell from your fellow divers on the surface for chasing them off. If you remain motionless you have a much better chance of close shots and an absolutely memorable encounter with some of the most beautiful creatures in the sea.

You will note that both of the above excellent videos appear to be done from a stationary or drifting postion
Years ago on a late April or early May dive on Colombia Deep we were all in single file swimming between a couple of pinnacles. Suddenly the DM banged his tank and pointed out ahead of us to the left. Out of the gloom came a lone eagle ray leisurely swimming (flying) in the opposite direction at the same depth as us. Being last in line I had the best angle, so I started finning slowly to the left until I got nearly directly in front of the ray. When he got close to me I stopped blowing bubbles. His left wingtip passed about six inches from my mask.

Of course I had no camera.

I came back a couple days ago and did 22 dives over 9 days (from Chunchakab to Paradise) and only saw about 4 or 5 in the park and only singleton's. The current has been unusually slow which allows for more particulates in the water which hampers visability a little, so there may of been more out there that I just didn't see. I did not dive North where they often congregate.
u

Hey Gopbroek, unless the Eagle Rays start disguising themselves as Lionfish and hiding in crevices and under ledges I doubt you ever see many.

i will just die if i see one. any of the swimming rays get me excited and I've yet to dive with them.
and point taken; if I do see one, no chasing!

Back
Top Bottom