Post-surgery diving in Feb/March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myvek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Although I am a moderately experienced diver, I am looking for somewhere to dive with gentle dive conditions since I underwent a surgery a few months back. Keeping this in mind, are there any locations / dive resorts / liveaboards in the Maldives that you would recommend? I am interested in pelagics and big schools of fish, and also in macro to some extent.

Thanks a lot!

Myvek

Feb-March is a superb time to dive in the Maldives, there are numerous very good liveaboards and resorts there and you'll see plenty of big and small stuff. But Maldives are not the place for "gentle conditions", at least if you want to visit the best sites to make the trip worthwhile. Most have moderate to strong currents than can change direction and it is normal for surfacing divers to be scattered over a wide area and the end of a dive. The dhoni crew are very good in picking people up.

The problem is that in places like Maldives, Palau, Komodo and Raja Ampat, it is the currents that act as the lifeline for local marine life and responsible for the diversity seen by the divers. We usually cannot have it both ways.

Thanks a lot for the info Hinterman! I guess I'll wait a bit before diving the Maldives in that case :)

Hi Myvek,

If you are looking for pelagic species and easy diving, I would focus on the eastern areas of the western atolls. My favorite is the Ari Atoll because it is easy to access from Male and also hosts some of the best pelagic encounters. For calmer waters, I would try somewhere near Ukulhas on the northeast side of that group of islands. If you’re willing to go a bit more remote, Dhaalu and Faafu Atolls are also nice. You’re going to love diving in the Maldives and taking it easy will give you plenty of time to enjoy the topside beauty as well. Have a great trip!

Hi Diviac Travel, thanks a lot for that useful tip! I'll keep it in mind :)

Back
Top Bottom