Do people dive all hours of the day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheHuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm sure it sounds like a silly question. But one thing I've noticed on every single dive site, is all dives are usually planned for around 7 to 8am. Although I would get up early to do dives, I'd like to know if people dive at other times; say noon, or 1pm or 2pm.

I am planning to dive next weekend. That will be my first dive(s) since finishing open water. It was suggested to me to go watch the dive sites so I can see how people enter and exit the water. Maybe meet some people, and find buddies. I was thinking about doing that tomorrow. But most likely I would go around mid day. If no one will be there, it would be a wasted trip.

I'm sure you're wondering why dont I just go dive tomorrow. Well I dont have all of my gear in order yet. I'll have it all ready to go by next weekend, so that's when I'll be ready.

Mid day has busier parking lots. I prefer to park close to the water. For some dives i take tides into account, and id rather dive the earlier high slack because i hate waiting all day to go diving. Im also a morning person. Some people dive later. Do you have a local active diver facebook group you can join?. Its not common practice here (western canada) to show up at a dive site and expect someone to dive with you.

Honestly, I only know what I've been told. And so far I've had a few people all tell me to just show up, and usually someone will be happy to take you out. There are a few facebook groups I'm on, but they havent really shown any activity. I figured as I got closer to next weekend, I'd start asking around.

Not usually weekend, but weekday I am frequently available for a dive in the early afternoons. PM me if interested.

Weekends are harder, but the point about traffic is a salient one. Beach people who have a specific activity in mind generally get started early to avoid the tanners and potato washers.

Reactions: Jax
Lets get together on a dive soon Undrwater. If you're free next Sunday, I can go any time that works for you. Even first thing in the morning. I'll PM you my contact info.

Like Jimmy says it is always 5 O'clock somewhere. People dive whenever they want to. I find a lot of boats load at 7am and are pulling out at 8am for their first trip. Usually at 1 or 2PM for the afternoon trips. It is totally up to when the boat is ready and scheduled for those types of dives. When I plan a dive trip my schedule is much more laid back we will usually plan to meet for breakfast about 8am and whenever we are done we will go diving unless we have to try and catch one of those 8am boats.

I have even been diving at *Gasp* night. I think that you are going to be better off making a plan with a dive buddy for your first couple of times so that you can get a feel for the peak times to go hit the water. After that you will be able to guesstimate the times to be at the local dive sites to either maximize your chances of finding a buddy or avoid the rush of divers if that is your thing.

In many places, conditions are calmer early in the morning because the wind hasn't come up yet, making it easier for boats to deal with putting divers in and out. For beach dives with onshore wind in the afternoon, the wind often makes the surf bigger. The bad thing about early dives is morning comes at such an inconvenient time of the day. At mid-day the sun has usually burned off the marine layer and is more overhead, so much more light, improving visibility

Reactions: Jax
Like Jimmy says it is always 5 O'clock somewhere.
Although this is not what you intended, Warren, this is a really big issue with me. :wink:

When you are done with your day's diving, you have to pack up the gear, get home, get it rinsed--all that tedious stuff. If you want to get all the diving and all the cleanup done before the cocktail hour, you have to start early.

It is worth mentioning that in lots of places the degree of fish/animal activity is greatest in the early and the later parts of the day...just after dawn, just before dusk. Midday is usually the quietest time. So it also depends on WHY you are diving....

Parking is not an issue where I do most of my diving so I'll dive any time of day (or night, which I do most during the busy summer months). Tide level is a more pressing factor for me although I'll dive at low tide if I need to.

Back
Top Bottom