Dry Suit - Tropics & Cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfrymus

Registered
Reaction score
It might be a little too early to be discussing dry suits for me, but I guess it wouldn't hurt knowing in advance. And if a good deal comes along, I might consider getting one earlier.

All my dives have been with 7mm wetsuits in Europe in the summer time. Not the warmest water, but not the coldest either.

I'm considering a wetsuit because most of my dives starting next fall / spring will be in cold waters. (In Canada - Nova Scotia / Newfoundland). I will also be doing both tripics but not as frequently at the moment. So, I dont really want to own both wetsuit and a wetsuit

Will it be okay to use a drysuit for both?

*I know it may be an overheating issue, which is why I am considering using a dry cooling vest underneath the wetsuit when in warm waters.

After some research, the two suits that seemed to have good reviews were the:
Hollis Biodry FX100
ScubaPro Evertec LT
*Still researching

But I dont know how these, or any other suits would hold up

Last edited:
probably the only suit that can accommodate wide range of thick of undergarment is white Fusion. It is a decent suit, probably not as good as a dedicated properly cut suit both both climax, it is a good compromise

Is there one within the 1500-2000 cad range? (1,100-1500 usd)
Perhaps one of the two I mentioned before?

Aqualung Fusion has suits from under US $1000 to several thousand, depending on the entry and type of skin and whether it includes undergarments.

The Fusion is a great option, however I would first speak to Mike @ DRIS and get his view. The man will ensure you get the right suit first time around.

I don't personally like the fusion, but any quality suit in the $1k range is difficult. Where in Canada are you? If you can get to Chicago, it is worth going to DRiS and seeing the suits in person. If you are flying, you basically need to stay with trilam due to weight and dry times. If sized appropriate, it will obviously be a bit big when you are diving in a long sleeve t-shirt and pajama pants, or long sleeve/pant underarmour, but it's not the end of the world. The biggest issue with drysuits in warm water is the warm air, you have to get out of the suits pretty quick to prevent yourself from overheating. They are almost all black, and they don't breathe *even the breathable ones*, so you get cooked in the sun unless you can get it half off

I'm not the most well-versed in exposure protection, but I thought I'd chip in on this one.

I dive in Canada (Ontario) and was trained in a wet suit. My first exposure protection I bought was actually dry however. This has been a phenomenal decision because now I can dive pretty much year round (except when my equipment freezes before I get in the water... but that's another story entirely!) If you're diving here, I don't see it being an issue.

In the tropics, I've typically just used what they have there. The dry suit is very bulky to travel with even being trilam. (I believe I have a Bare HDC Tech Dry, in case you were curious). However, when I've been in warmer places, I've asked about it. For instance in Australia I was told that they weren't common, but there are people who dive them. If you wear no undergarments, they're actually not that hot. So from my perspective, I wouldn't be concerned about trying to be cool - rather, focus on the most undergarments (coldest water) you think you'll dive and size it for that. I still probably wouldn't travel with it unless I was expecting cold water, because it'll likely mean a bag for just it... but that's just me.

I'm going to echo the comments from ajduplessis and tbone1004 - when I was first buying gear, I went over to DRIS to look into a BP/W and regs they had on Black Friday. When I mentioned that I was going to start with a wet suit, they had me try on a drysuit and we spoke about the long-term costs for each option as well as the (surprising) simplicity of them... and I was quickly convinced. Even though I didn't end up buying the drysuit from them (long story), they were very helpful... and generally both their gear and assistance has been phenomenal.

Last edited:
On a recent trip to the Philippines, several of the divers were using Santi dry suits for the entire week in 80+ degree water. They just used minimal undergarments. They use the same suits in very cold water.

In the caves in Mexico, many divers use dry suits. I have seen a variety of brands and models in use. You just need to use appropriate undergarments.

If you give us a call (see the number below) and ask for Chris or Mike, you will get very expert advice.

oh, for reference, my Rofos which was purchased from Mike is used primarily in cave country which is 68-72f depending on the cave, and the undergarments are fairly minimal. Much more than I would normally use in that temp due to the duration of the dives, but is still the equivalent of heavyweight polartec underwear on my legs, a pair of ski socks, heavyweight polartec top, and a fleece vest. I can also use these undergarments in shorter dives *less than an hour* down to about 50F with little issue, however I do normally but on some thicker pants. I have not gone ice diving in this suit, however I have put some good undergarments on underneath it. If you go to DRiS, get the suit sized with you wearing 4th element Arctic undergarments, that will get you to bloody cold temperatures, even if you don't purchase those undergarments, that is about all the underwear you'll need. Going to tropical temps is pretty irrelevant in suit size from the Arctic's, so you're good to go. The best recommendation I can give if you don't have a huge foot *which mine unfortunately is*, is get neoprene socks on the drysuit, and use regular scuba booties of appropriate size for your overshoes. It helps to prevent excess air from getting trapped up there, and doesn't limit your kicking motions like some other overboots

Great choices on suits, and some great feedback already!

Are you travelling alot? I think you will be more than happy getting a drysuit ONLY. We just need to figure a few things out.

How many dives per year?
Cave? Wreck? Local Quarries/Lakes?
Are you doing recreational or technical diving? Where do you see yourself going in the future?
You speak of the summer, winter. What are the air temp differences as well as water temps?

Feel free to email me at mike@diverightinscuba.com or we can always Skype if you prefer. As others said, Drysuits aren't a one size fits all for what is best for everyone. It's best for us to talk, and see what your needs are. That helps cut out alot of suits, then we can get down to the perfect suit for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom