Dry Suit - Tropics & Cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do training dives in an 80 some degree pool with reasonably heavy undergarments because I'm working on issues getting to valves wearing those undergarments. It's not bad at an hour in the water, but I'm sweating like mad setting up the last of the gear wearing the dry suit before I get in. But I'm not swimming hard or doing a lot of work.

I was diving in Hawaii wearing a bare trilam using just the bare base layer (essentially fancy long underwear) and at 70 degrees it was ok, maybe a bit cool at the end of an hour.

At the moment, I don't dive that much. Its cold now, and no local places to dive.

But, I am doing a research based job/school program which will involve a lot of diving. I'm not sure how often it'll be, but it will become a frequent thing. This is starting later this year.
  • Locations & temperatures will vary. Mainly in the Ocean, but I will also be out in lakes for sure. I guess it falls under the recreational category more than the technical.
  • Caves? Probably not so much. But, I would like to get certified and do it a few times. But, this will probably not be a thing I do often.
  • I actually asked about my fins in a different post. About how I could potentially use my semi-dry boots with a drysuit instead of the drysuit boots. Will my fins fit a drysuit?
  • I dont mind driving to the states to buy a drysuit. Im from just south of Toronto, so anywhere in the states along Southern Ontario, is fine.
  • If diving in warm waters, I can wear a cooling vest. So, diving in warmer waters shouldn't be a big problem.
  • The 'Fusion' drysuit is not going to be a good one for me. Reviews werent all too great either
  • I would need a suit that would be good in cold/warm water, and one that allows the use of gloves, front entry, plastic zipper,

Last edited:
My input. I'm new to Dry diving myself and had very similar questions to the OP.

I settled for the Fourth Element Argo (kevlar in mycase) I dive mine tropical. This weekend the Airtemp was 28C the water 22-23C. Those in wetsuits ranged from using 7mm through to multiple layers of 3mm and Lavacore/Sharkskin type garments.

Obviously you choose your undergarments for the temperature

Mine is breathable, my boots fit the fins as well as my wetboots. Others here use the Waterproof D9 and the DUI with a mix of wetboots and dry boots as is their preference

I originally wanted wetboots, but decided against them. I'm glad I did. Wearing socks is nice but importantly if the ankle seals are like the wrist seals getting it on and off would be that much harder

I also use wet gloves.

Happy with the suit but learning to dive dry is more frustrating than I thought it would be, however its becoming easier with practice. Probable the hardest part is having to carry the extra lead. Diving in a skin I carry no lead whereas with my drysuit I'm currently carrying 8 Kg which make me feel uncomfortable on the boat with all my kit on. I'm sure I'll get used to it as well as being able to lose a bit of lead with practice

Back
Top Bottom