Key Largo Six Pack Dive Shops ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have always used Quiessence. They hit some little known spots. They took my wife and me out when we were the only people to show up. The last dive was an unmarked oval shaped reef in 35'. It was oval shaped and 60' long and 30' wide. We were told that it had good life. As I descended, it just looked like a little bit of rubble in the surrounding sand. I wondered just what we had gotten into. But as I got closer, it became apparent that there was all kinds of fish and critters there. It took as an hour to just do the out perimeter.

I have always used Quiessence. They hit some little known spots. They took my wife and me out when we were the only people to show up. The last dive was an unmarked oval shaped reef in 35'. It was oval shaped and 60' long and 30' wide. We were told that it had good life. As I descended, it just looked like a little bit of rubble in the surrounding sand. I wondered just what we had gotten into. But as I got closer, it became apparent that there was all kinds of fish and critters there. It took as an hour to just do the out perimeter.

The mention of Quiescence brings up the point I was trying to make in my post above. Quiescence was the dive op I used in Key Largo when I first started making trips down there around 15 years ago. I chose them because, like the OP, I had heard of this "cattle boat" versus "six pack" controversy and so asked the same kind of question the OP is asking. I was sure I was a six-pack kind of guy and not a cattle boat kind. Over time I have realized that sticking strictly with operations that specialized in six-packs was unnecessarily limiting my options. My current favorite is Conch Republic. Quiescence is great, but there are a number of great dive ops in the Key Largo area.

I agree. I like Conch Republic as well--my wife got certified there. But, the OP's request seemed specific to Key Largo which is why I gave the nod to Quiesence. Conch Republic cannot reach the middle and northern Pennekamp sites. So far, I have not had my options limited at Quiesence (they have a huge knowledge of unknown or little known great patch reefs), although they do want more than two people if they are going to to the wrecks (Spiegel etc). You are right, though, in that a six-pack can be a little more effort to arrange for a specific site if you are a single diver, compared to larger boats that have regular trips to certain sites that run on a set schedule. Also I'm not a tech diver so cannot comment there.

Just got a chance to check back, Thanks for all the help you all.
What I'm really aiming for is a shop that takes 6 or so divers and always has a Divemaster lead the dive for the group, and if there is a diver that has no buddy then they pair up with the dive master. All i want is shallow reef dives with a Divemaster to show us around and get us back to the boat. I quess some call this "Trust me dives" but in shallow reef dives its fine for me. Thanks All.

I agree. I like Conch Republic as well--my wife got certified there. But, the OP's request seemed specific to Key Largo which is why I gave the nod to Quiesence. Conch Republic cannot reach the middle and northern Pennekamp sites. So far, I have not had my options limited at Quiesence (they have a huge knowledge of unknown or little known great patch reefs), although they do want more than two people if they are going to to the wrecks (Spiegel etc). You are right, though, in that a six-pack can be a little more effort to arrange for a specific site if you are a single diver, compared to larger boats that have regular trips to certain sites that run on a set schedule. Also I'm not a tech diver so cannot comment there.

Fair enough about the geographic limitation. As a just occasional visitor, I tend to include Tavernier when I think of "Key Largo." For a visitor with a car, it's easy enough to choose a dive op and lodging anywhere in the area and be at the dock within 15 minutes or so of leaving one's lodging. I agree that if a diver is interested in specific sites, he should check with the dive ops to make sure he knows which ones do or do not visit those sites.

I didn't mean to imply that Quiescence (or any other dive op) itself is limiting; rather, just that not keeping an open mind about dive ops that might happen to have some bigger boats can be limiting.

Thanks to All.
Key Largo Dive center sounds like the one i want .
I might mix it up and try also one of the others mentioned because they sound good also.
Looking forward to it.

Mixing it up isn't bad - you get to figure out which operator fits your individual tastes.

Also gives you an excuse to go back and dive your butt off with who you liked best :)

Thanks to All.
Key Largo Dive center sounds like the one i want .
I might mix it up and try also one of the others mentioned because they sound good also.
Looking forward to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom