Best diving location in Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the report. Regrading the Similans, there are a few of the hop on hop off boats that you mention. These boats have advasntages and are especially suitable for people with limited time, but their schedules are set in stone. This means that unlike the other boats they don't have the flexibility to avoid the crowded divesites.

If possible, take a liveaboard with an even number of days and nights, or even more nights, over the shorter 3 days/2 nights trips, and do a trip of minimum 4 days/4 nights. Also the 3 days/3 nights North trips are worth considering.

I noticed the Tapana last week at King Cruiser. I would personally prefer more open air spaces and less air conditioning, but it looked like the main target of the boat are Asians, who would prefer less open air spaces.

But the quality of the divers, seemed to be Koreans, was appaling, none of them should be at a sometimes quite challenging site like King Cruiser.

Koh Haa is part of a in June closed national park.

I can recommend an Overnight Trip to Phi Phi Islands between May and October. These trips cover the best dive sites you can reach from Phuket. The famous King Cruiser Wreck, Anemone Reef, Koh Bida Nok, Hin Bida and the new wreck at Phi Phi Don (I don't remember the name). I will do an Overnight trip beginning of May with my Rebreather. Really excited and can't wait :) Here you find the trip infos: Overnight trip to Phi Phi Islands from Phuket May to October

Phi Phi Overnight Trips.jpg

There is more information about the Phi Phi overnight liveaboards that Simon talks about here:

http://scubacat.com/liveaboards-phuket-thailand/

Scubacat is the company that runs the boat (MV Scuba Adventure) that Simon's company seems to book trips on.

I am not affiliated with either company but have been a guest on the Scuba Adventure several times.

And Simon, the name of the wreck that was sunk near Phi Phi in March 2014 is "Kled Kaew".

There is another boat offering similar and there may be more that I don't know of. And yes, I can also book them both. However, there used to be a twice weekly scheduled overnight trip to Phi Phi. This is not running anymore since daytrips these days are a very good alternative and especially in low season Phuket accommodation can be priced really attractively. Also weather and not getting trips confirmed due to a lack of participants will be issues. I would be very careful with booking these trips in advance and would not put down a deposit.

And yes, I love low season liveaboards, including the Similans trips when these were still allowed.

Last edited:
There is more information about the Phi Phi overnight liveaboards that Simon talks about here:

http://scubacat.com/liveaboards-phuket-thailand/

Scubacat is the company that runs the boat (MV Scuba Adventure) that Simon's company seems to book trips on.

I am not affiliated with either company but have been a guest on the Scuba Adventure several times.

And Simon, the name of the wreck that was sunk near Phi Phi in March 2014 is "Kled Kaew".

Yes I book all Trips on MV Scuba Adventure. I love this really basic Liveaboard and my customer like it too. This Vessel has become my second home :)

Buadhai,

Thank you for the recommendation. I am a Caribbean diver traveling to Asia for the first time and I am trying to make the most of my trip. If I am going to go I want to dive the best locations and make the most of my time there.

Would you suggest a liveaboard for South Andaman. Most that I find online go to the Similans.
Can you explain a little of the logistics. I don't think I have a good feel for the distances between locations or where to get on a liveaboard. If I fly into Bangkok.... Then what?

There also seems to be a huge difference between the Advertised "Argressors" vs. some of the local companies. The prices seem to be 1/3 the cost.

Thanks ahead of time for any additional advise you can share.

Cheers,

IMHO the best diving in Thailand currently is the South Andaman via liveaboard:
  1. It's less crowded with dive boats than the Similans
  2. The islands are beautiful. I could spend a week at Koh Ha
  3. The dive sites are, mostly, in good shape (see #1)
  4. If the dives are scheduled right (a couple in the early morning and a couple more in the late afternoon or evening) then you'll miss all the day trippers from Phi Phi and Lanta.
I'm doing three liveaboards this year. Next week is the North Andaman. My wife's only been once and this was her choice. South Andaman in May. Losin and the southern Gulf in September. Losin is perhaps my favorite place to dive, but it didn't seem to make the Rough Guide. Maybe that's why I like it.

Buadhai,
Would you suggest a liveaboard for South Andaman. Most that I find online go to the Similans.
Can you explain a little of the logistics. I don't think I have a good feel for the distances between locations or where to get on a liveaboard. If I fly into Bangkok.... Then what?

I know of 2: MV Scuba Adventure (www.scubacat.com) and MV Giamani (I couldn't find a direct link, but many agents). I am sure there are more - StevenL would be able to help you there. The Giamani is a more luxurious and more expensive boat than Scuba Adventure. I have been on both and enjoyed both.

You can fly to Bangkok and then fly to Phuket. There are many, many flights every day. Sometimes boats depart from Phuket, sometimes from Khao Lak if going to the Similans (though probably not if going south). If the boat is departing from Khao Lak, then free transfer from Phuket is usually included in the price. Very easy.

If I were you (or me) I would book a combo trip going both North and South.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom