Aquatek Scuba. Edmonton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just heard it went out of business.

Is this true? (and if so what happened) The economy in Alberta has been good.

Not sure I was there last month and they where open

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

True. The receivership auction was today. It was pretty much all rental stock but most of it was in really good shape. Stuff was going for under 10cents on the dollar (BCs for $30, reg sets for $40, near new Al80s for $40).

A lot of stuff missing that I would have expected to see. Outside of a few fins, masks, and wetsuits there was nothing new. No new regs, computers, drysuits... The glaring lack of new stuff was odd and raised a few eyebrows.

As to what happened, I'm not sure. The other shops in Edmonton are doing well. Pretty hard not to in this economy.

Recent divorce, big fancy boat....?

Wait a month or 2 and the good stuff will start to show up on eBay and kijiji. Why would it raise eyebrows? Any business on the way out has the owners looking out for #1. Some stuff has to get left behind, the good stuff.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Man, you know I registered here just to vent about this. I did all my training through that shop - starting in 2008 with my open water cert. Knew the guy pretty well. Spent quite a bit of money there. Volunteered with him at shows. Took part in his clubs and movie nights. Went to the pool scrubs he organized. Was personally instructed by him a number of times.

It's jarring because I liked the guy. He was nice. He was supportive. Very friendly and outwardly (at least) honest. He was clearly very passionate about both diving and his business. And that was contagious.

And then this. As stupid as it sounds - it sort of tarnishes the whole thing for me. And in part that's because so much of this hobby was, for me, tied up with knowing Jeff, and spending time at his shop. Getting trained, buying gear, talking about the hobby, going on dives. There was a social element to it that makes this feel a bit more like a personal betrayal (though obviously nowhere near what his Grandmother is feeling right now - obviously). That all those experiences, and all that gear, was - in some capacity - subsidized by his theft puts a pretty dark pall over the whole thing for me.

So I don't know. I'm still going to dive. It's stupid to write off a hobby that I enjoy because of this. But I'm definitely selling the gear I bought from him. I know that's ridiculous, but sometimes a good purge is what's needed.

Anyway, yeah. What the hell. Just a ******, jarring, horrible thing to have to read.

Man, you know I registered here just to vent about this. I did all my training through that shop - starting in 2008 with my open water cert. Knew the guy pretty well. Spent quite a bit of money there. Volunteered with him at shows. Took part in his clubs and movie nights. Went to the pool scrubs he organized. Was personally instructed by him a number of times.

It's jarring because I liked the guy. He was nice. He was supportive. Very friendly and outwardly (at least) honest. He was clearly very passionate about both diving and his business. And that was contagious.

And then this. As stupid as it sounds - it sort of tarnishes the whole thing for me. And in part that's because so much of this hobby was, for me, tied up with knowing Jeff, and spending time at his shop. Getting trained, buying gear, talking about the hobby, going on dives. There was a social element to it that makes this feel a bit more like a personal betrayal (though obviously nowhere near what his Grandmother is feeling right now - obviously). That all those experiences, and all that gear, was - in some capacity - subsidized by his theft puts a pretty dark pall over the whole thing for me.

So I don't know. I'm still going to dive. It's stupid to write off a hobby that I enjoy because of this. But I'm definitely selling the gear I bought from him. I know that's ridiculous, but sometimes a good purge is what's needed.

Anyway, yeah. What the hell. Just a ******, jarring, horrible thing to have to read.
Don't let one dirt bag spoil your love of diving. He's a A-hole.... not you.

Yes. Exactly. You're entirely right. There have been a ton of great dive shops that I've worked with over the years - none in Alberta (though I am scouting out some new shops), but plenty in BC and California. Great people doing wonderful work to keep this hobby fun, safe and interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom