suunto zoop ... anyone really no how to use it correctly ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chet H

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So i bought the suunto zoop and though Ive dived with it 10 times, I really feel like ive only touched the basics on its functions. its not real user friendly. It did ot come with a manual , the your tube videos are non existent, or skim the functions but not how to get to or use them. the diagram of functions given in the folding piece of paper in the box is convoluted and offer no real explanation . Can anyone point me to a resource or a manual tutorial etc ? or should I just buck up and buy a more user friendly watch?

thanks ,

the Zoop is a basic and conservative dive comp. Take the time to read and understand the manual and then...dive with it! plan your dives a bit against tables. that will give you a good understanding of what the Zoop is doing.

Been using a number of different computers for 15+ years. Wife got a Suunto Vyper Air based on some anecdotal info that they are more reliable. I find reliability a real issue with dive computers, seems something always goes wrong, often within the first 1-3 years.
What we found is the manual is absolutely the worst of a very very bad lot of manuals. Of course we haven't seen them all but we've seen a fair number. And it's even more conservative than we thought it would be, to the point of being kind of obnoxious.
So far it hasn't broken......1 1/2 years is all though.

it's even more conservative than we thought it would be, to the point of being kind of obnoxious
It depends on your diving style. For square profiles Suunto's algorithm follows the PADI RDP pretty closely. It's a bit touchy about fast ascents, missed safety stops and short SIs, though.

It depends on your diving style. For square profiles Suunto's algorithm follows the PADI RDP pretty closely. It's a bit touchy about fast ascents, missed safety stops and short SIs, though.

Disagree. I am dead slow on descents, ascents, take 4-5 minute safety stops like a religion, and generally have pretty decent SI. On single tank air dives she needs to dive it set to 26% to be close to my UWATEC Aladin 2G, that's with the other 2 tweaks to make it less conservative. My 2G is set on the most liberal setting admittedly (default setting) but I've never had any issue with that.
On multiple day multiple dive 32% Nitrox dives, I set mine to 30% and she sets the Suunto to 36% to get some functional equivalency. If not we would either be coming up early based on the Suunto or she would accumulate a fair amount of deco following my profile on the Aladin.

Note: 12" required deco stops, in cold water and lousy viz, that are only required because the Suunto is 'unhappy' and would lock up if surfaced do not make one partial to their conservative nature. We had to do exactly that last week (Gods Pocket) when my Aladin still had 12" of bottom time, not including our minimum routine 4" safety stop.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom