Any Tips For A Would-be Sailboat-bottom Cleaner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only knew one guy who regularly cleaned boats; he preferred a 30' hose and left the tank on the dock--he felt he was more nimble with that set up. I don't have an opinion, just giving you something to think about.

I'll rent an 80 and use my gear, will have someone on deck of course.

If you're going to be doing hull cleaning on any kind of a regular basis, using a 110-volt hookah is the way to go. It's smaller and more lightweight than a tank, will never run out of air and the air is free. Plus, you have most of everything you'll need already. A 50' length of breathing air hose and an oilless compressor and you're good to go.

make sure that the marina allows you to clean hulls in the slip. not all do. scrub down real well. water quality in marinas and the small scratches that can result from bottom cleaning can make for some nasty infections.

This thread brings back some childhood memories from about 40 years ago...

My parents would pull the boat (not a sailboat!) onto a sand beach. They (and maybe another couple) would stay in the boat and sit on one side while my sister and I would crawl underneath and clean the exposed (other) side of the hull. When we finished one side, we crawled back out. They then moved to the other side of the boat, and we would crawl under again and repeat on the other side. Towards the stern, it was all breath-hold scrubbing.

I seem to recall that they enjoyed some beers while they kept the boat tilted for us and while we worked.

Reading this now, I really cannot understand why my sister and I thought that hull cleaning days were so much fun back then...

Back
Top Bottom