Staying in Ambergris Caye Aug 13-20 - Some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there. My husband and I will be on the island that same week. Staying at Paradise Villas and diving with the outfit next door. We will be celebrating our 100th dives while there and plan to do the Blue Hole trip. I am not expecting much. We just decided it was the thing to do. I also heard the other dives that day were worth it.Maybe we will meet you.

All the cool kids think the Blue Hole is lame and dangerous. Personally, I liked it. It is proof that the sea levels were once more than 100 ft lower than today. I have done it twice. However, it is a VERY long day to do it from San Pedro.

there used to be a guy on the beach in san pedro that sold carvings of Maya gods. See if he still has the scuba god.

All the cool kids think the Blue Hole is lame and dangerous.

Thanks for the reminder that I am neither cool nor a kid. :facepalm:

Forget the Blue hole. Too dangerous for many/most divers (I would not dive it without redundant air supply). 2.5 hour boat ride each way and when I was there the trip cost $250 each.

I thought the blue hole trip was fun. It is a LONG boat ride from San Pedro. But if you're OK with the 2.5 hours out there, in what can be rough seas at times, I think it's worth it overall. The blue hole is OK, for me it was just to say I did it. The next two dives on the way back are the best I've done in Belize.

You should see quite a few nurse sharks and a fair amount of turtles around San Pedro and every know and then you get some Eagle Rays. Most operators will offer a trip to Hol Chan marine reserve too. It's a super shallow channel (~25' max) but there is a lot of life there.

As far as operators, I've seen Elbert at White Sands mentioned once already and that would be my choice too. On my first visit my wife and I stayed at Matachica too, Elbert's team will pick you up from there doc. They're a good group and a lot of fun to dive with.

Oh sorry I forgot about other recommendations.

First, the restaurant at Matachica is very good but, leave the resort and go into town for a few meals. There are so many great places to eat in San Pedro that it would be a shame to miss out. El Fogon, Estel's, Blue Water Grill, Palapa Bar (although I'm not sure about the new location), etc..

Second, if you have the time (and have never been to Belize) spend a day or two on the mainland. Mayan ruins, cave tubing, zip lines, the zoo, the baboon preserve, etc.. There are a ton of cool things to see/do. William from Jungle Water tours can help put something together for you.

Lots of awesome recommendations folks, really appreciate it. Think we'll probably not do the Blue Hole, but I'm going to see if maybe the dive shop will take us to the other two dives everyone raves about!

They won't. :( it's an all or nothing kind of deal. Don't miss out on it. Pick a best weather day if you can and just do it. Captio2000 hasn't even done the dive. The day is so very special, it's worth getting up early for, it's worth the ride. You get fed a continental breakfast of sorts and lots of folks snooze on the way out. Lunch on the idyllic island of Halfmoon Caye is one of my happiest spots the world over. The two follow-up dives are stunning. and the mood on the trip big back is invariably cheerful and excited. You'll have made new friends and you will think back on the day with a smile on your face forever.

I've done this dive day12 or more times, (lost track) and I'll be back for more. Truly tremendous way to spend a day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom