First fatality for Florida mini lobster season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Little Torch Key man dies diving for lobster
A Little Torch Key man is the first Florida Keys fatality of the 2016 lobster mini-season.

William Simko, 60, was scuba diving for lobster on the Gulf side of Cudjoe Key around 10:30 a.m. Wednesday in 10 to 12 feet of water when he reportedly “became distressed,” said Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Becky Herrin.

He called for help. His son was on board their vessel with four other people. They jumped into the water and brought him back to the boat, Herrin said.

They began to perform CPR on Simko while calling for assistance on their VHF radio. A Navy helicopter heard the call and responded. The Navy crew picked up Simko and flew him to Lower Keys Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

An autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of his death, Herrin said.

Well, in all fairness and to defend our sport, I would like to know whether this was a coincidental medical event or a true diving accident. It certainly doesn't appear from this initial report that this incident was related to the types of accidents we hear about during mini season where divers run out of air or are struck by boats.

Well, in all fairness and to defend our sport, I would like to know whether this was a coincidental medical event or a true diving accident. It certainly doesn't appear from this initial report that this incident was related to the types of accidents we hear about during mini season where divers run out of air or are struck by boats.
It will be the same determination as most other cases.

Some person who hasn't been diving in years decides to come dive mini season, put of practice, out of shape and out of their element they have an issue and die.

Sad reality when they make a game of it. That's all mini season is, a game by the fwc to sell as many fishing licenses as possible for a 3 day event.

The stretch people will go for 5 minutes of fame. (Warren sapp)

:outtahere:

The stretch people will go for 5 minutes of fame. (Warren sapp)

:outtahere:
Warren is Warren and I'll leave it at that. As a proud Buccaneer, he was instrumental in my city winning a Super Bowl. For that, I hold a biased opinion towards him, despite his transgressions. I know, it's sad. :)

condolences for the family and friends of the perished diver.......weird story for the football player...but nasty bite.

The bugs are really not worth it. year after year, you can count on at least one fatality each mini season

Back
Top Bottom