Rebreather with a long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking to do the same with a Pelagian. Did you find an instructor to teach that config or did you just change after the first module? I'm looking at LP50s for 200ft or less and LP85s for 300ft - 200ft. And carrying 50% and O2 like normal.

I guess long hose over the loop would be faster, but don't know if that messes with the way the loop floats or would cause additional jaw fatigue.

I also see value in keeping the long hose because if I have to shut the post feeding the ADV down then my BOV is gone too. Still having a long hose means I can still breath my backgas.
Are you trying to second guess a RB configuration without having done much (any?) RB diving? Specifically, what do you mean by 'like normal?' Is that 'normal' OW OC, cave OC, OW RB or cave RB? Or just normal for Norfolk?

I know. But that doesn't mean I can't breathe it if I have to shut my left post down, which is feeding my ADV and BOV.

Are you trying to second guess a RB configuration without having done much (any?) RB diving? Specifically, what do you mean by 'like normal?'

I wouldn't characterize it as second guessing, just expressing my opinion that it is a lot of steps to get someone on the long hose. And I am not the first person who has expressed that opinion.

However, as PfcAJ pointed out, there's usually time to transition someone onto the long hose, particularly if they are a rebreather diver and have their own bailout.

The "normal" configuration I was referring to was having O2 and Dil onboard and carrying bailout offboard, which is not the configuration I'm interested in.

I wouldn't characterize it as second guessing, just expressing my opinion that it is a lot of steps to get someone on the long hose. And I am not the first person who has expressed that opinion.

However, as PfcAJ pointed out, there's usually time to transition someone onto the long hose, particularly if they are a rebreather diver and have their own bailout.

The "normal" configuration I was referring to was having O2 and Dil onboard and carrying bailout offboard, which is not the configuration I'm interested in.

Why are you not interested in offboard bailout?

Because it's not familiar. I'm familiar with having my backgas on my back, and my deco gasses side slung. From what I read about bad CO2 hits, the more readily available a large volume of bailout gas the better since your breathing can easily double for many minutes and your thinking can be significantly impaired.

That's why I like the GUE configs. You hit the BOV and you're on your full volume of bailout/backgas. If you have to stay off the loop for the rest of the dive, then you just execute your deco in BO mode with your deco gasses offboard, side slung like normal (for me anyway) OC diving.

Because I anticipate switching between OC and CC diving, because I anticipate diving in CC with OC buddies, and because I have spent several years developing the muscle memory for certain responses to issues, I want to keep my CC diving as close as possible to my OC diving.

Onboard O2 conflicts with that paradigm.

Diving a backmounted Meg with top of shoulder counterlungs plus a Shrimp BOV. I'm using a DSS steel plate with a diverite "tech" sidemount butt plate. The "old school" bungie system which threads through the cam band slot of the backplate and clips to the chest Drings. I use a gag strap (they save lives) which limits my ability to clip a long hose under the loop.

For me open water diving:
"deep" BO is sidemounted on the left (21/35, 18/45 or 15/55), first deco gas sidemounted on the right -this bottle is upside down to have the knob point out right. Long hose is stowed stuffed on the deep (left) BO. I've gone back and forth on a 5ft or a 7ft. Currently using a 7ft but its a lot of hose to stuff. The deco gas has a normal 40" deco/stage bottle hose. BOV is fed off the left deep bottle via a QC6. If I add a 2nd deco gas its an al40 of O2 and it goes underneath the left hand sidemounted bottle using conventional stage rigging and a 40" reg hose.

For me cave diving:
dual steel sidemounted "deep" BOs. Usually 2x 85 or 95s. I have never bothered to dive a CCR in a cave where lp50s were enough BO gas. I'd use al80s at someplace like the grand traverse at peacock but haven't had the chance.

7ft long hose stuffed under bungies on both steel BO bottles. BOV feeds off the left sidemounted bottle as in OW. I have a clip on each 2nd stage so if we do share and you give me the hose back (like you don't need it anymore or I switch you to my other bottle) I can quickly wrap the hose, clip off the 2nd stage and keep exiting (restuffing is possible its just slow). Same issue if the BOV isn't cutting it for me and I want the proper 2nd stage, I pull out what I need of the 7ft hose and breath, when I'm done I can clip that reg to my chest just like I would on an OC backmount rig.

All cave deco gasses are on conventional stage rigging and the first 80 is clipped off under my left BO bottle. The 2nd is butt clipped onto my sidemount plate. I have not needed a third deco gas but in theory I could butt clip another bottle back there. I see no point in "saving" BO for myself if my buddy is having a really bad day, it's all sharable.

I encourage you to add a long hose to have donate-able gas to either OC buddies or another CCR diver who needs it. Do think about how you not only how you will donate that 2nd stage but also how your will restow that 2nd stage/hose.

Last edited:
Onboard O2 conflicts with that paradigm.

offboard o2 is ridiculous (you don't need 40cf, you need maybe 4 to 6cf)
And creates a whole bunch of new ways for nasty water to get into your solenoid or orifice.

The GUE JJ uses onboard O2 fyi

offboard o2 is ridiculous (you don't need 40cf, you need maybe 4 to 6cf)
And creates a whole bunch of new ways for nasty water to get into your solenoid or orifice.

The GUE JJ uses onboard O2 fyi
And it's placed in a horrible spot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom