Issue with securing 7ft long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tuck it into my waist band, then my finger spool with bolt snap is clipped to my right hand waist d ring.
And is goes through the loop of hose under the waist belt.

Its locked in place and can't get free.
So why do you have a long hose?

I tuck it into my waist band, then my finger spool with bolt snap is clipped to my right hand waist d ring.
And is goes through the loop of hose under the waist belt.

Its locked in place and can't get free.
I am having a little trouble visualizing it. It sounds like you can't deploy it in an emergency. Or did I misunderstand?

Knew I should just post a picture...

It's not that much trouble to flip it free,

Doesn't need to be a spool, I have used a small lift bag as well,
You could do the same with the Halcyon stick...

Attachments

• 20230914_215252.jpg
    20230914_215252.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230914_215132.jpg
    20230914_215132.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 75
Knew I should just post a picture...

It's not that much trouble to flip it free,

Doesn't need to be a spool, I have used a small lift bag as well,
You could do the same with the Halcyon stick...
Honest question:
have you done many S-drills with that setup? To donate you want to quickly give the OOG diver your primary reg, stabilize and assess diver and only then deploy the full long hose when everything is under control.

I'm worried that when the long hose is pulled tight as you donate, (A) the long hose pulls the double ender under your waist belt, making it hard to untangle or (B) pulling on the the toggle to release the double ender - best case losing your finger spool, worst case leading to a bunch of loose line and a serious entanglement hazard.

Edit to add:
Also a right side hip d-ring is not very compatible with a long hose, as every time you clip anything in, you risk trapping the hose and taking away your chance to donate.

OMG - Why are we making such big deal solutions to a non-existent problem. :banghead:

To donate you want to quickly give the OOG diver your primary reg, stabilize and assess diver and only then deploy the full long hose when everything is under control.
I am confused,
if you can donate with 5 ft of hose, Then what's the panic to release all of it right away? Release the extra when everything is under contol.
(A) the long hose pulls the double ender under your waist belt, making it hard to untangle
It doesn't get under the waist belt.
I don't pull that hard on hoses.

Also I dive in strong currents. And the hose will work it's way out occasionally, and its usually at the most inconvenient time,
This way it stays put. I have 2ft extra if I need it.

Choice of hose is, 3ft vs 5ft +2ft on a slight delay....
I know what I want, especially as the guy donating...

Also I dive in strong currents
I do too. Very strong in many of our caves here in North Central Florida. Never have I had a long hose come out due to strong flow. :acclaim:

👍 no problem
I am certain you are a better diver then me,

I just had a problem and I solved it,
One less task load,

15-20ft deep,
7 ish mph,
boats overhead,
And paying attention to 4ft + boulders randomly showing up,
Kicking to stay in similar currents as my buddy, and a hose floating around my head,

All I was doing is showing how to lock it in place and not having it come loose randomly, when tucked into waist belt,
If you have any concerns please don't try this at home, or on a dive site.

As I said in my first reply, tighten your waist belt and done! No need for goofy goodies to solve a non existent problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom