Weda and Tobelo Halmahera Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Immeriswas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello and all the best for 2017,

After cancelling this trip in 2015 due to some serious health problems, we finally went to North and Central Halmahera, to explore the over- and underwaterworld. In Jailolo and Tobelo our first stops my wife had some sinusitis problems, so that I did only two dives of the coast in Tobelo beside some snorkeling trips.
The reefs around Tobelos islands ( we visited five different spots there) looked very promising from what we saw during the full day snorkel excursion with an outrigger motorcanoe.
So only two dives for me, but both were very special, in contrary to the two I did on Ternate, which were just ok.. The first one was at two underwater vulcanos - the first of this kind to me -in 26 and 30 meter.
Like a massive hot spring under water ! Fantastic sights of colorful softcorall and other marine life in the shimmering of the different temperature grades.
Unfortunatly my camera equipment is mainly for macro, but for the next trip ( maybe Alor and Milne bay ) a wide angel or fish eye lens and a second more powerful strobe is already on the list.
The second one was at an old pier on dark sand in about 3-8 meter - a typical muck dive - with 20 and more different species of nudibranches ! A variety I never had before on one dive. I called it " Nudi City ".
The diving in Tobelo with Yuz , a very experienced guide, was very relaxed with an simple outrigger, no nitrox but quite good rental BCD and regulator. Yuz told us, that there are only about 20 - 30 non Indonesian Divers , of the total of max. 200 a year !! Definatly not the most crowded area in the world.
Here some pictures

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129925047@N03/albums/72157674298275034

After 14 days landprogram, including one highlight of the whole trip : the overnight trek to Mt. Ibu, a very activ lava throwing vulcano, we reached Weda Resort.
It is at the end of a wide bay between East and Central Halmahera. The 7 huts are quite spacious and well equipted with a great camera table , enough plug ins, 25 hour electricity and all the comfort you need.
The food served in the open air ,on a hill situated, restaurant is plenty and full of variety. Beside breakfast, lunch and dinner there is even a little snack in the afternoon. Tea , coffee and water is free all day.
Beside the diving you should not miss the trip to the Halmahera bird of paradise impressive !! we watch him dancing nearly a full hour and pretty close. Here some picture from Weda surface.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129925047@N03/albums/72157676552807101/with/31822989565/

The diving starts quite early with two boats ( one with toilet on board ) leaving for the two tank morning dive at 7.30. The boats are fast and quite comfortable for up to 8 divers, but normally they only took 6 people.
The first site was normaly 30 to 50 min away. There is no time limit , so that many dives were 70 to 90 min. After 60 to 90 min surface interval , most times on the boat on the way to the second spot closer to the resort, another long dive, so that at lunch arround 13.00 to 13.30 everybody was back . In the afternoon is the possibility of a third dive around 16.00 in a distance of 10 to 20 min to the resort.
The on request daily nightdive ( one of the guests went every day ) goes to 6 different spots about 15 to 30 min. away. It leaves at 18.00. Lunch will be ready for you after coming back at 20.00 to 20.30. Again no time limit for the dive, so that there were at 12m max. again dives between 75 to 90 min.
At the average housereef you can go diving on your own, when ever you want. It is quite ok for day and night snorkeling ( one of my favourate things to do after dinner ) with some surprises as sea cobra and critter.
At the time of our stay there were between 6 and 9 divers, which meant most of the time 2 boats leaving, because the group maximum was 4 divers to one guide.
The guides are trained and worked already quite a bit in Lembeh , where Rob the Dutch owner has a second resort. They were - as so far always in Indonesia - spotting even the tinies creatures and knew the 30 dive sites all very well.
The briefing is quite short - I missed more detailed dive site description and maybe a sketch, but I guess they now working on it , because some other guest had the same complains. The main question in the planning , which normally fullfilled the wishes of the divers, of the next day was : macro ore wide angle ?
There are slopes , steep walls and great macro sites with a lot of critters. Big fish is mostly seen at" shark mountain" , a pinacle ending 28m under the surface. The walls and slopes are nearly to 100 % intact and the quality close to RA with a lot of hard and soft coralls. The amount of fish is definatly smaller than in RA or the Maldives. My favourate sites were : " Corango mini and kecil ", "Elmos " and "Tanjung Ulli ". At " Mangroves" there are Mandarin fish at a very shallow coastal mangrove spot, which reminds me a bit at the scenery at" the passage" in RA without current.
My favorate muck places were " Airport " and " Gamaf ". Especially the night dives there ( 5 in total ) were all great with : different octopusses (normal, mimic, algee and pinoccio ) squid of different size and colour ( my first pygmi squid with 10mm ), hairy shrimp beside many other shrimps and crabs, nudis, rays, stargazer, frogfish, snake eels, sludges , seahorse, seapipes, seamoth, devil fish and other scorpion fishes, fireworms, flatworms, several bobbit worms etc.
Here some pictures about the underwaterworld in Weda as mentioned a bit on the macro side.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129925047@N03/albums/72157678185779425

Thanks, just had a look at your picture and have to admitt that they are from a lot higher quality. What rigg do you use? I am using a Sony RX 100/2 in Ikelite housing with an Ultramax flash and Inon wet diopter.
Peter

Peter, I will not reply for Al, but as a seasoned photog, I would simply say one of the most important technical part in UW photography relates to lighting, hence to the strobe(s), the camera itself doesn't really matter to a certain extent providing you can use manual mode and RAW pics.
Don't hesitate to invest on lighting, I m afraid your strobe is not powerful enough, Also 2 strobes are better than one, that's something tou can handle in macro not for wide angle..

Luko thanks for the advice. I already think about a new strobe, but the disadvantage of not using TTL ist die to my camera.

Immeriswas thank you for sharing your great topside and UW photos & your thoughtful, detailed report. From the critters to the dive boats to the snakes, you really helped give me a feel for Weda - a place I have found it very difficult to get first hand diver reports on.

I particularly appreciated your notes on unlimited dive times, guide quality and the dive schedule (including night dives). Love your swimming bobtail squid photo (7491-1) - not easy to capture as they often rest on the bottom.

There are no aircon in the bungalows, but one or two fans depending on the size .We did not miss it. In fact due to the almost dayly short afternoon rain it was never too hot and in some nights we even did not use the fan. If you have the choice, try to get number 7 the one above the restaurant. It is the biggest and most airy with a nice view over Weda bay.

Back
Top Bottom