DSS Torus 49 and 57

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dexmac

Registered
Reaction score
Background: I'm looking for a wing I can use on LP98 and LP95 doubles. They're basically the same size with an 8" diameter and the 98s a tiny bit longer. I'm currently using a horseshoe-style 60lb wing but (a) I really prefer the buoyancy characteristics of donut wings to horseshoes and (b) the flaring out at the bottom that's characteristic of large horseshoes is causing severe tacoing around the bottoms of the tanks. I need a wing that can lift those tanks pumped up on a cave fill (as part of a kit that I can weight to neutral on empty) with enough margin for a couple of aluminum stages. I dive a trilaminate drysuit so suit compression is not an issue. While I'm fine with the drysuit being my backup buoyancy, I don't want it to be supplementary buoyancy; i.e. the wing should be doing all the lifting.

By my calculations, a 45-50lb wing should be adequate. However, most wings that size seem to be designed for 7.25" doubles like LP85s and so I'd be losing enough buoyancy due to part of the wing being pinched off to make that size marginal. Which leads me to the DSS Torus wings, and would love to hear from someone who uses either the 49 or 57 on 8" diameter doubles like LP95s or 98s:

For the Torus 49: is the space in middle large enough that, on tanks that wide, the wing can fill to (or close to) its full capacity? If not, how much are you comfortably able to lift with the unencumbered buoyancy?

For the Torus 57: how far around the tanks can it furl itself when empty? The Torus 57 looks like it has a pretty similar shape to a typical horseshoe wing (albeit with less pronounced flaring at the bottom) so I'm concerned about the taco effect.

For either: how does it trim out? 8" doubles tend to be stubby, awkward things and wings with too much lift near the bottom seem to have a way of pushing them head down.

(Note: I've emailed Tobin and am waiting to hear back, but I'd also like to hear from users of these wings if possible)

If you call Tobin he will talk you through innumerable scenarios that will help you get to the bottom line. You probably don't even know half the questions to ask at this point. I bet the to and fro conversation will be enlightening. Good luck

@cool_hardware52 can clarify, but I am 99% sure that all Deep Sea Supply wings are measured on 8" diameter, long tanks *i.e. LP104's or 121's* in order to give a worst case scenario in their lift. If used on skinny tanks, their lift ratings would actually go up.

The Torus 57 is only an inch wider than the 49, so about half an inch more than that.
When empty, they should extend about 2-2.5" above the widest point of the doubles, or about 2" lower than the top of the tanks.

I use the Torus 49 successfully with HP120's, as well as PST HP100's, E8-130's, and LP104's and have had no issues with either of them. I went with this wing to have the lift closer to the center of the tanks, as well as the fact that 49lbs is just enough for a set of cave filled PST104's with a SS backplate. Don't want to hang too much stuff off of them if the tanks are filled to the brim, but those are the most negative common doubles out there, and most people don't dive them with steel plates, so there's that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom