Input on our Accident and Incidents Forum... What do you want? How do you want it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My issue with the forum is there are many incidents which just state a diver in missing in X location. That in of itself is of no value for learning. Unless there are some additional information, I see no need to clog up the forum with missing diver reports.

However there seem to be many which do not. I would propose not adding to the clutter and noise until we have something more than a diver is missing from X location. It seems like there is a race to be first to report a missing diver.

Several missing diver reports have grown into accident discussions as more details become available. :)

Last edited:
However there seem to be many which do not. I would propose not adding to the clutter and noise until we have something more than a diver is missing from X location. It seems like there is a race to be first to report a missing diver.
Have you considered that others may have concern for a missing diver and hope they are found even if no one responds to a thread. I don't feel divers who may be in peril are "clutter". A missing diver is an incident (Accidents & Incidents forum). There is the option of not reading the post or waiting til there are more replies (they list views and replies on the side) to see if the thread meets your standards or not. :)

I view this section as an accident analysis and learning from these incidents resource. The passings forum is for expressing concern. In my opinion these are appropriately separated. What good is expressing concern about a missing diver do for the expressed purpose of this forum? What could we learn from a generic a diver is missing with absolutely no additional information?

This sounds unfeeling and callous but that is what makes a good accident analysis.

The first post in this thread asked our opinion on what this forum should be. I have provided my view. Obviously there are different views. In the end it is Netdocs decision on how we go forward with the forum.

A post that a diver is missing in X location might tip off people in the area that it happened, and get them to inquire. 'Gets the ball rolling,' so to speak. It can lead to some discussion about the site and general issues it may pose (e.g.: Eagles Nest).

Richard.

^^^^^^^^^
drrich2 beat me, easy to do as I can't type worth s**t.

Bob

I don't disagree posting the incidents can get the ball rolling. However, there is still a lot of chaff in this forum. I have no idea how to separate it out.

I would like a separate forum called "Hints and Allegations".

Back
Top Bottom