looking at buying a compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so as mentioned above, volunteer fire departments that have SCBA fill stations are the place that all divers should start. Develop a good relationship with them, make some donations etc. Get on their good side and most will let you fill scuba tanks
SCBA to Din
$55 for an adapter, and you have basically an unlimited supply of air. Good stuff

If that doesn't work out, it sounds like you guys are in the perfect situation to justify a compressor due to the convenience side of things.
3-phase is better than single, at least for cost and reliability of electric drive motors, it also allows you to look at some big boy compressors that often go for quite little money because few people have access to 3-phase power.

In terms of what to look for, you can find used compressors all over the place, so check local craigslist type things
RIX Sweet Air Oil-free compressor OR Bauer K-14
Bristol 4S7-70 High Pressure Scuba Air Compressor - 5 CFM @ 6000PSI
like these. Pros and cons to all three, but all are quite good and you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Kent,
Someone above recommended me.
I have sold a number of compressors in Canada. Look at my website
sheldensportinggoods.com
I have a couple of options that have been recommended at very competitive prices
6 CFM Noah-Howden, single phase and 5 CFM Bristol 4S7-70 in single phase or 3 phase.
These have breathing air filters and manual operation, OR add $ for auto operation.
Call me - Jim Shelden 316-992-0505

Not to interrupt here but how do Rix air compressors differ from, say a Bauer in function and quality? I know that the Rix is an oil-less compressor, is that better or not better. Thx

In my opinion all three are good compressors depending on the use. All must have a good moisture trap and filter to provide Grade E air or better. Oil lubricated compressors generally will have a much greater life (3-6 times) than an oil-less unit like the RIX. I personally do not like the RIX because it requires much more maintenance than oil lubricated compressors. My experience in over 40 years and use by fire departments and major users of compressors confirms that oil lubricated compressors are much more reliable for long continuous high pressure (3500 to 6000PSI) use than the RIX.
Jim Shelden
316-992-0505

Not to interrupt here but how do Rix air compressors differ from, say a Bauer in function and quality? I know that the Rix is an oil-less compressor, is that better or not better. Thx

they're different. If you want to have a portable compressor, the rix can't be beat. you can mount them in literally any orientation and as long as their is sufficient air flow for cooling, it's completely fine. They don't need "filters" only water traps because there is no risk of CO buildup from the oil. They're great for that. They are perfect for what they are designed for.

What they aren't designed for, or necessarily ideal for, is long term shop compressors. They wear quicker because they use water to "lubricate" even though water doesn't actually lubricate, and because they are primarily a military compressor, parts are hideously expensive for them.

Pros and cons. I have a pair but can't justify rebuilding them right now because it's almost $2k in parts each for the service kits and some other stuff I need for them. I have just bought a standard oiled compressor from England to use instead because it will do just fine and parts are stupid cheap for it

This may sound stupid but ho do you approach your local FD to ask if they do fills? Just call up or stop by a firehouse and start chatting?

There's 2 kinds of oiled compressors. Bauer is the only one that I know of with a 900 to 1000 psi oil to the final stage. The others have splash or a much lower prressure system. I had a gas powered rix once. I needed a leash on the damn vibrating thing, had to chase it around the garage.

This may sound stupid but ho do you approach your local FD to ask if they do fills? Just call up or stop by a firehouse and start chatting?

basically, but they aren't going to offer, so don't go in swinging. Start talking to them, get to know the guys, etc etc. If they have a rescue dive team look at volunteering, make donations etc. They are highly unlikely to have a scuba fill adapter, so you'll have to have your own, but it's kind of a delicate subject to approach. knowing a guy helps, so try to figure out how to know a guy first

@sealark that was probably the gas motor as opposed to the compressor assuming the balancing weight was the right one and the fans weren't damaged. all the ones I've used have been quite stable, but they are powered by lawnmower motors so the gas motors aren't going to be quiet

Back
Top Bottom