Article: Is the Dive Watch Dead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He told me that he could sell me a $400 to $500 watch that was actually superior to a Rolex in craftsmanship.
Give us a name, please. :) (PM if necessary)

There is a good article on Wikipedia about Rolex, which was only one of IIRC 40 brand names created by the same company. Good marketing indeed.

I'll try and stop back by his store and get a couple of suggestions. I actually don't remember the brands he suggested.

I'll try and stop back by his store and get a couple of suggestions. I actually don't remember the brands he suggested.
That would be awesome and highly appreciated. :cheers:

I have a very close friend who owns and has worked in the jewelry business for over 30 years. About two weeks ago I went in to look at watches because I don't have a nice "dress watch" and wanted to see what he had to offer in high end watches. He showed me what he carried and I asked why he didn't carry any Rolex watches. So he asked me if that was the first name that comes to mind when I think about "high end" watches and I said yes. He smiled and said that's because Rolex has the best marketing scheme of any brand of watch period. He told me if I wanted one he could get me one with no problem and that Rolex had tried many times over the years to get him to carry their brand. So I asked him why he didn't. He told me that he could sell me a $400 to $500 watch that was actually superior to a Rolex in craftsmanship. He said as far as actual quality goes, Rolex isn't even in the top 10 but because of great marketing, folks think they are one of the best.

Yeah, but that's sort of the point, isn't it?

Most people don't buy a very expensive watch because they want the best quality mechanism, they buy it so that people will see that they are dressed up and doing well. 100 years ago, you spent more to get a very high quality watch because it was the most accurate and durable. Today, a $30 digital watch (or your phone) keeps better time than a $25,000 Rolex. Some people are real watch enthusiasts and they enjoy knowing about the mechanism, the complications, etc... But most people who want a fancy dress watch buy it so that people will see that they have a fancy dress watch. And that $400 superior watch won't provide what his customers want, even if it is technically "better" than a Rolex.

Think about the diamond industry. Diamonds aren't actually that rare, but the DeBeers company has a monopoly on a lot of the mines, and they have spent a century convincing people that they are priceless and that if you are getting engaged, you had better buy one or you aren't serious.

Most people don't buy a very expensive watch because they want the best quality mechanism, they buy it so that people will see that they are dressed up and doing well.

You're right. Rolex doesn't sell watches. They sell prestige, luxury, imagination, exclusivity, a brand and more.

Yeah, but that's sort of the point, isn't it?

Most people don't buy a very expensive watch because they want the best quality mechanism, they buy it so that people will see that they are dressed up and doing well. 100 years ago, you spent more to get a very high quality watch because it was the most accurate and durable. Today, a $30 digital watch (or your phone) keeps better time than a $25,000 Rolex. Some people are real watch enthusiasts and they enjoy knowing about the mechanism, the complications, etc... But most people who want a fancy dress watch buy it so that people will see that they have a fancy dress watch. And that $400 superior watch won't provide what his customers want, even if it is technically "better" than a Rolex.

Think about the diamond industry. Diamonds aren't actually that rare, but the DeBeers company has a monopoly on a lot of the mines, and they have spent a century convincing people that they are priceless and that if you are getting engaged, you had better buy one or you aren't serious.

Large Diamonds are rare.... Smaller diamonds that cut under 3 carrots are a dime a dozen...
Jim...

Yup! But the small and focused watch enthusiast community knows the difference.

You think rebreather divers obsess over their gear? Try going down this rabbit hole...

The Watch Snob

My Jeweller friend, when I said "sure I'll take a Rolex for $1000", commented that they will lose their dealership if they discount prices.

He also lived in a $49 Bazillion house, and considering his shop was about 400 square feet, I don't think he was in the habit of discounting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom