Product Review: BARE XCS2 "Tech Dry" Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My XCS2 review

Dove mine for the 1st time this weekend, got in two shore dives. My previous drysuit experience has been Bare Pro Trilam - the back zip model - about 25 dives recently and an uncompressed neoprene suit 2 dives over 30 years ago.

Fit - I fall right in the middle of the Range for Bare's Large Tall size so the suit fit was great.

The suit definitely felt more flexible and less squeeze at depth compared to the trilam. The stretch in the compressed neoprene really helped. I usually only add air to the suit to relieve squeeze and did not need to add as much. More mobility in my arms, though sometimes I felt the stretch in the suit pulling my arms back. It felt warmer, but this is a sample of 2 dives so it could be in my head.

Donning - easy. Thought pulling over my head would be tough, but it isn't.

Doffing - getting over my head is easy, getting the arms out - not so much. Still figuring out a technique. Quote form one of the instructors in the shop who has the same suit - "I'm not even going to try to explain it" - this as I was trying it on in the shop for the fist time. I gather he has similar issues. I can say I am getting better at it and will report back after few more dives.

Overall I love it and am happy with my choice. I told my buddies I gave it "5 stars out of 5" after the dives - but this was before I tried to get it off :)

Lol! :) Been there. :) Zipper, then neck seal. Then right arm first. Always right arm first.

For the first arm, I start by working the seal over my hand and off. Then I reach behind me with both hands and grab the end of that sleeve with my other hand. Then I can work my shoulder out and the sleeve completely off.

Same.

Thanks for the tips. Seajay & Stuart I'll try them next dive.

One thing I forgot in my review - weight needed for this suit was pretty much the same as a Trilam. I added 2 pounds just in case but don't think I needed them. Will be diving next dive at my regular trilam weight.

Okay after a delayed next dive - work interfering with life - I used the tips above and it is definitely getting easier to doff the suit. Still love it. Definitely less squeeze and easier for me to swim in than trilam.

Also took 1 pound off, so I was just 1 pound above trilam and weight still good. I was going to remove two but the rental leadI had to play with didn't add up to the right way.

Awesome. :)

anyone have a video they would be willing to share showing how to don the xcs2 front zip suit ? looks like a great suit but i have a hard time imagining getting into a front zip suit without a telescoping torso.

Getting in is actually pretty easy. Get the arms in then pull the neck seal over your head. For me the flap of neoprene over the chest inflation valve tends to get caught in the neck seal so I reach in and pull it out. Remember the suit has a biy of stretch that makes this easier.

Getting the first arm out is tricky. There is a video earlier in the thread. I cam do it, but it takes a minute.

Back
Top Bottom