Fiji - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harro10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a chance for a five night stopover in Fiji with my non-diving wife on the way back from New Zealand to the U.S. at the end of March, 2018. The stopover choice will probably be either Fiji or Sydney depending on what airline we book. I would definitely like to get in several days of diving on Fiji. Would anyone give me some tips on what would be practical for a five day trip that would offer good diving and also make my non-diving wife happy. On what areas of Fiji should I be focusing. I would like to keep the hotel budget at $200. US a night (or less) if possible.
Thanks for even considering replying to this broad post.

Bula! So 5 days, non diving partner, US$200 / night. I assume diving extra.
Time limit really rules out places that need an internal flight, although they are the best spots, so look at Viti Levu and Beqa Island. Options are Volivoli, Wananavu, Beqa Lagoon Resort, Waidroka, Uprising and the Pearl. Volivoli is a lovely but isolated resort with rooms at US$175 rack rate for a couple but they have great offers to include dives, so ask. Wananavu is a little more upmarket but as it is low season, they too have good offers. Book dives in advance as walk in rates are v high. Both places dive the same area which can be stunning. Non diving stuff somewhat limited outside of the resort.
If you like sharks, go to Pacific Harbour or Beqa Lagoon Resort. There are 3 shark feeding dives there. One run on Beqa island by Beqa Lagoon Resort, and the other 2 from Pacific Harbour, being Aquatrek and Beqa Adventure Divers.
They are similar and everyone has their preference, but all professionally run. In PAcific HArbour you can stay at Uprising and pay around US$140 inc breakfast with a pay 4 stay 5 option I think. Or stay at the Pearl but that would probably bust the budget a little. If you do, book Garden View rooms not the Marina view - trust me....
Beqa lagoon resort is great too. The only down side is you need a boat transfer and there may be a surcharge if not on a scheduled day. Rates for 5 night at under US$1,000 for 2. I'm not sure if that includes a meal plan.
If I was to pick for you, I would stay at Uprising, dive with Aquatrek, booked in advance, doing at least 1 days shark dive. Staying in PH gives you access to loads of activities modern and traditional.
Food for though. Which makes me realise it's time for breakfast.
Greg

Thanks. Greg. There is some very useful information in your post that may help me narrow things down. I was looking at the Beqa Lagoon Resort because another diver has a report about it on this forum. I does seem like a fit for us but our flight (if I book it) would not land at Nadi until 4pm and, as you pointed out, we would not be able to make the boat connection to that resort until the next day.
I am not a huge fan of shark feeding dives, at least the ones I did years ago in Florida and the Bahamas. I do enjoy spotting sharks as they cruise reefs and wrecks. I will research the dives you mentioned.
Bula!

Last edited:
Harry
We have stayed at Wananavu 3 times and love it. Remote, but beautiful. See you in couple of days. No diving fro me.....LONG story.
Chery

Harry
We have stayed at Wananavu 3 times and love it. Remote, but beautiful. See you in couple of days. No diving fro me.....LONG story.
Chery
I am sorry to hear that you will not be diving but am looking forward to seeing you and Jay on Coz. One day away and counting.

It looks like we will be doing Fiji after our New Zealand trip. After some research and multiple email exchanges with a couple of locations we are booking Volivoli Beach Resort.
Thanks all.

I stayed 7 nights at Volivoli last week and can certainly recommend the resort and Ra divers. The resort was hit pretty hard by last year's cyclone but the rebuilding has made it better than before. All the staff knew our names within a few hours of us arriving. They will certainly look after you. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom