First NJ dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 Bar

Reaction score
A friend and I are looking to do a local NJ dive the weekend of Oct 16. Our shop is scheduled to visit the Beth Dee Bob.

I am advanced and he is a MD (both dry and nitrox certs), but this would be our first Atlantic Ocean dives. Would this dive be too challenging for our first? Or does someone have a better suggestion for that day.

He's done Bahamas, Bonaire, Cozumel, and Dutch. I have done Cozumel, Bermuda, and Dutch.

Also, and WV members are welcome to join us, since I am listed as a member, but am not official until I dive a wreck with a WV member.

2 Bar:
A friend and I are looking to do a local NJ dive the weekend of Oct 16. Our shop is scheduled to visit the Beth Dee Bob.

I am advanced and he is a MD (both dry and nitrox certs), but this would be our first Atlantic Ocean dives. Would this dive be too challenging for our first? Or does someone have a better suggestion for that day.

He's done Bahamas, Bonaire, Cozumel, and Dutch. I have done Cozumel, Bermuda, and Dutch.

Also, and WV members are welcome to join us, since I am listed as a member, but am not official until I dive a wreck with a WV member.

All of those nice places you mentioned have warm, clear water (well maybe not Dutch). Not to discourage you, but the Atlantic can be a big step up from Dutch. The Beth Dee Bob sits in approximately 115' coming up to 80' or so by the sled pulley. Visibility can be good, but can also be a lil less than good. Water temps are mid 60's down to about 80' and then it drops as much as 10 degrees at the thermocline. Oh yeah, then there's the boat rocking and the 15 or so mile trip out there.

I personally would recommend something intact on the Sea Girt or Axel Carslon Reef as an intro to NJ Diving. 60'-80' in depth. 3-5 miles from the dock. If you do the Beth Dee Bob, I'd recommend buddying up with someone who has a few NJ dives under his/her weighbelt.

If you tell us what boat you are on that day, maybe some of your fellow WVD's will be glad to show the ropes/wrecks. Sorry, I'm already diving that day.

Wherever you end up diving that day, please be sure to post your trip report!

2 Bar:

This site is a very cool wreck site and you should visit it someday, not for your first Northeast Atlantic dive.

My shop runs what we call, “Intro to Wreck Diving” trips. We keep the depth between 70 and 80 feet and we overload the boat with staff. This means that for every buddy team we have an instructor or DM dive with you. This way if there are any issues, you have an experienced NE diver with you to help.

We have one scheduled for Oct. 10th. If you are interested, call Blue Water Divers at 201-327-2822

DSAO

The Beth Dee Bob is one of my favorite wrecks, but I would not recommend it for your first NJ wreck dive. It's 115' to the sand and considered an advanced dive for many. If you do choose to do this dive, please make sure you have a redundant air supply (doubles or pony). The viz. can range from good (40-50 feet) to really bad (4-5 feet). Current is also a factor, and temp's are lower than your carribbean dives. I would recommend a shallower intact wreck for your first NJ dive, but if you insist on this dive site, make sure to give us a trip report when you get back.

Thanks all. I know the difference between tropical and local diving which is why I posted this thread. I was also concerned about the depth, being the first local dive. My instructor who has done all my certs with me said based on my skill I will be fine. However, we are not looking so much for a challenge, but a nice day of diving.

As for what boat we are on...none. We haven't booked anything yet. I just began researching and I noticed my LDS was doing that dive that day. I don't know what boat they are on because I havent asked yet.

I am 100% willing to find a boat doing a suitable dive that weekend. It's just since I haven't done local diving yet, I am not familiar with boats or other shops to research.

But I had heard that there is no guarantee that the boat will necessarily go to the site it is scheduled for (due to conditions, etc) so you could sign up for an "easy" dive and then end up at at site of 120 foot depth, for example. Or is that untrue?

wrekdiver2:
I personally would recommend something intact on the Sea Girt or Axel Carslon Reef as an intro to NJ Diving. 60'-80' in depth. 3-5 miles from the dock.

junko:
But I had heard that there is no guarantee that the boat will necessarily go to the site it is scheduled for (due to conditions, etc) so you could sign up for an "easy" dive and then end up at at site of 120 foot depth, for example. Or is that untrue?

This is always the truth here. I would estimate that at least one-third of the time, we end up on a secondary wreck instead of the one we left the dock for. The weather or viz. can dictate where we actually go instead of where we want to go.

I haven't dived off the NJ coast but I'm coming more and more to the belief that you just have to take a baptism by fire and go out on the boats at some point to find out if you're ready. Someone on here mentioned the "Intro to Wreck" trips but these don't seem to be offered that often, or by all shops--I was signed up for this the past summer and the trip was cancelled due to boat engine trouble two days before the dive and never rescheduled to my knowledge. I did go off the boats in North Carolina this summer because I thought it might provide a good "bridge" of experience between an environment like Dutch to the NJ coast, particularly in terms of depth, but I still don't know how it compares because I haven't been off NJ....

MB104:
This is always the truth here. I would estimate that at least one-third of the time, we end up on a secondary wreck instead of the one we left the dock for. The weather or viz. can dictate where we actually go instead of where we want to go.

junko:
Someone on here mentioned the "Intro to Wreck" trips but these don't seem to be offered that often, or by all shops
The shop I teach for (Scuba Connection in Hillsborough, NJ) offers something akin to "Intro to Wreck" on all of our boat trips. We offer the Boat Diver specialty which more than a certification provides you with 1) an in-shop orientation session and thorough preparation for your first Jersey wreck diving experience and, 2) the guidance of an instructor on board and underwater for your dives. We're headed to the Stolt next Saturday 10/9 on Outlaw. Check it out at www.tscscuba.com

junko:
I was signed up for this the past summer and the trip was cancelled due to boat engine trouble two days before the dive and never rescheduled to my knowledge.
Trips do get cancelled, although in my experience here in Jersey it is far more often due to weather than due to maintenance issues. And unfortunately we do get blown out with some frequency, especially late in the season. But when you do get out, it makes it all worthwhile.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I guess I didn't call around to enough shops...I don't think I will make it this season due to an ear problem but I will check them out next summer...

Maybe 2Bar and his buddy should see if they can hire a DM or an instructor to go with them as a guide on their trip. I did this in NC and it was well worth the extra $$$ I paid...wasn't that expensive anyway.

joebrown:
The shop I teach for (Scuba Connection in Hillsborough, NJ) offers something akin to "Intro to Wreck" on all of our boat trips. We offer the Boat Diver specialty which more than a certification provides you with 1) an in-shop orientation session and thorough preparation for your first Jersey wreck diving experience and, 2) the guidance of an instructor on board and underwater for your dives. We're headed to the Stolt next Saturday 10/9 on Outlaw. Check it out at www.tscscuba.com

Trips do get cancelled, although in my experience here in Jersey it is far more often due to weather than due to maintenance issues. And unfortunately we do get blown out with some frequency, especially late in the season. But when you do get out, it makes it all worthwhile.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom