First NJ dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junko:
But I had heard that there is no guarantee that the boat will necessarily go to the site it is scheduled for (due to conditions, etc) so you could sign up for an "easy" dive and then end up at at site of 120 foot depth, for example. Or is that untrue?

I beg to differ. Usually it happens that there is a deeper dive scheduled and due to sea conditions, the dive is moved inshore. Also, don't forget that some boats are faster than others and just because the schedule says you are going to the Stolt, doesn't mean that the Stolt will be available.

As for "Intro to Jersey Diving"? There are a couple of shops/clubs that use the Dina Dee and cater to new divers on some of their trips. If they say they are going to 80 or less, that's what they do. They also do not go out in crap weather, so not to scare anybody away with a horrible experience.

The Explorer's Dive Club (Piscataway, NJ) got in two of the three of our "Intro" dives this summer (one was cancelled due to questionable weather). We schedule these dives in late July, August and September when the water is warm and the vis is usually better. We got several people hooked on NJ diving and they have made it onto the regular charters without much difficulty. We had one guy that we helped make the adjustment to NJ diving last year and he was out yesterday with us on a 130' dive having fun with the rest of us (OK, 30' vis and 66F didn't hurt)

The Dina Dee also does a 1-tank Wednesday night dive in 80 or less and I have seen plenty of new divers giving it a try with the help of experienced divers (myself included).

Unfortunately, by this time of the year most of those options are all used up.

junko:
Maybe 2Bar and his buddy should see if they can hire a DM or an instructor to go with them as a guide on their trip. I did this in NC and it was well worth the extra $$$ I paid...wasn't that expensive anyway.

We actually went to schedule this for the Ponquoge Bridge, but our schedules never got us out there. If we do this dive it's because our shop has the boat chartered. So everyone there will know who we are, know our skills, and some dive masters and instructors will be on board keeping an eye on us. BTW, the boat they are going on is Blue Fathoms.

2 Bar:
......scheduled to visit the Beth Dee Bob. I am advanced and he is a MD (both dry and nitrox certs), but this would be our first Atlantic Ocean dives. Would this dive be too challenging for our first?

As someone who has dived the Beth many times I would say that it is NOT the spot for a first-timer.

There are literally thousands of wrecks out there that are fine for first-time NJ wreck divers (shallower) but the Beth (117' +/- to the sand) ain't it. Keep it in the 75-80' range for the first couple of times. Just my 2 ¢.

If you do decide to dive the BethDeeBob be sure to dive dry. It's DAMN COLD on the bottom (and dark too)!!! And, if you don't own one, rent a pony rig.......because you will be excited (= breathing harder & faster than normal especially when you hit that cold water) and at that depth you'll suck your main tank dry in a lot less bottom time than allowed (which ain't much).

Dive safe and have fun!

I did my first NJ Wreck dive this past Sunday. I went with Blue Water Divers (www.bluewaterdivers.com). They had chartered the Venture III and we dove the Ventura. This was a fantastic trip. I can't recommend Blue Water or the Venture III crew any more. The crew went out of their way to help me with my gear and with general guidence.

The Venturo is a tug boat sunk by Budwiser (nicknamed the Budwiser reef). My maximum depth was 66'. We did two dives. The first was a bit nerve wracking for me --- my mask wasn't tight enough and water was getting in... took me a few attempts to fix it.. but once I did I was able to get right down ... the wreck is 99' long. Lots of fish, starfish and lobster. Some interesting plant life ... (I'll have to start looking these up to be able to identify).

Surface was very choppy on Sunday. I was never more happy to have put a sea sickness patch on. I'm not sure if that's the norm or if Sunday was a choppier then usual day... but once below the surface life is great.

The second dive we moved away from the wreck and followed a dive reel line to a tank. Don't ask me why someone sunk a tank... but it was definitely interesting to check out. More lobster.

The only other time I was nervous was on the ascent... when I followed the line up after the safety stop I could see the boat smacking down on the water close to where I was supposed to emerge. My DM wiggled my fin to get my attention and pointed for me to let go of the rope and come up away from the boat.

All in all a great trip....

Here's a site which maps out NJ shore ship wrecks... check it out if you want to look up info on sites. http://www.diversion2.com/shipwrecks/index.html

junko:
that's great Hochhauser...out of curiousity, did they require you to use a pony bottle for these dives?
A pony bottle was not required; however, they recommended that I get one if I was going to be doing NJ dives - There was always a DM with us (it was an intro to Wreck diving class) and he constantly asked us our air pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom