Trip Report: Dive into Ambon @ Maluku Resort and Spa (Dec16)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pughio83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trip report summary: DIA 12 nights

So this was the second time to Ambon, and the second time we have dived with Kaj and Barb who runs Dive into Ambon. The dive shop was originally situated at the Natsepa Hotel which was where we were based previously and i have already reviewed the trip there previously. This time the dive shop is setup at the Maluku Resort and Spa.

Pre trip organisation was excellent, with good communication via email, easy pay system and they answered any questions promptly. Getting to Ambon is easy via flights from Jakarta and take 4-5hrs depending on direction). We flew with Garuda, which gave 20kg per person and the extra 35kg we had seemed to not be much of an issue! sweet! That said we paid approx £18 for 35kg excess baggage on a previous flight to Komodo. Airport pickup was straight forward in a nice aircon van.

The resort is picturesque with a great pool area, smart gardens and a natural stream running through it (with fresh water eels). There is a small beach accessible when the tide is out. The dive shop is well equipped, and has a spacious well designed camera room. Gear was well looked after. Drinks are available at the shop and restaurant. Tea, coffee was freely available and Kaj and Barb always provided post diving snacks, usually home made including hummus, garlic dips, crisps, nuts etc. Sunsets were amazing there.

The room we had was a sea-view cottage. Fully air conditioned, with satellite tv, en suite bathroom with hot water, small lounge area etc.. Very private. The bed was lovely. Couldn't have asked for more.

The food on the whole was excellent. Breakfast included cereals, fruit juices, toast, jams, indonesian foods as well. Lunches on the boat were usually indonesian, with rice and noodles with chicken or beef, veg, then fruits afterwards. Dinner was probably the best bit. 3 courses usually, with the mains being meat or fish based - sometimes indonesian, sometimes british or german or thai. If you dont eat meat or fish then you would need to request specifically. The desserts for me were the highlight and we pretty much didn't repeat any meals in the 12 days there.

The dive boats were well designed and we usually did 3 dives daily +/- night dive. I made approx 45 dives and overall the experience was fantastic. Great dive guides, always trying to find what you wanted to see. Being down to a rare list of critters its often hard to find new stuff but this trip certainly provided, and mostly down to the brilliant guides - Robert, Irwin, Alan, Jack were the ones we had.

Highlights:
-Psychadelic frogfish (lucky - given the outrageous antics of Maluku divers who in my opinion are a disgrace)
-Mototi octopus
-Pug head coral pipefish
-Both purple and yellow weedy rhinopias
-Pink Paddleflap rhinopias
-Psychadelic batwing slug
-Dragon shrimp
-Bumblebee shrimp
-Starry Saron shrimp
- and a whole host of rare nudis and undescribed shrimps etc

Dugongs were sighted by the other group. Night dives were fun and got some good black shots of sepia.

We did a side trip to Molana island which was brilliant. Molana offered crystal clear waters, beautiful coral walls that rivalled Komodo with good macro. Plus lunch on one of the most beautiful small beaches i have ever seen. We also made dives along Haruku which were also great.

Overall i highly recommend not only Ambon as a diving destination, but to use Kaj and Barb's Dive into Ambon at the Maluku Resort and Spa. They are very professional, well organised, immensely friendly and their aim is to ensure you have a great time and see what you want. I consider them both as friends and i wouldn't hesitate to make a third visit to Ambon. Easily the best dive operation in Ambon as they dive both the Ambon bay side, and the coral side, plus nearby islands like Molana. They are well priced for the quality of the setup and diving.

Have attached 10 photos i liked from the trip.

Attachments

• PC140668.jpg
    PC140668.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 109
  • PC140706.jpg
    PC140706.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 119
  • PC130505.jpg
    PC130505.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 105
  • PC140894.jpg
    PC140894.jpg
    707.1 KB · Views: 120
  • PC040536.jpg
    PC040536.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 119
  • PC150924.jpg
    PC150924.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 118
  • PC110266.jpg
    PC110266.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 108
  • PC100938.jpg
    PC100938.jpg
    667.6 KB · Views: 103
  • PC100982.jpg
    PC100982.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 108
  • PC110073.jpg
    PC110073.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 103
I have stayed with Maluku Divers in the past, and I'm curious to hear what your problem is with their operation. You're not the first person to mention issues, but I never witnessed anything untoward when I was there. What specifically seems to be the problem?

Otherwise, love the photos :D

Wetpup,

Without stirring the pot, it basically revolves around the moving of psychadelic frogfish. Transporting them to a location that they knew, hiding it away in artificial creations, not sharing any information with anyone bar their own guests or special guests. I can understand why dive shops don't share info but to physically move rare creatures and damage the landscape to conceal them is poor. And then there are stories of blindfolding divers etc... I just think for a well known dive resort it seemed a poor way to behave. Maybe it's down to the dive guides they have now, who knows.

Anyways it's in the past and I was fortunate to see the fish. I would highly recommend Dive into Ambon, as the balance between muck and coral reef diving is great.

Yeah, I know Kaj and Barb from when they used to run KBR in Lembeh. It's just that when I went to Ambon, DIA was closed for some reason (I think they were moving). I didn't think Maluku Divers were problematic, however that being said, I was there before the psycho was "rediscovered" so to speak. It appears that their attitudes and behaviours now aren't quite what I experienced when I was there.

Amazing pics! Are you on Flickr?
Thanks for the report.
Molana is definitely one place I would love to get to and stay a few days!
Not on Flickr but my photos are all on Facebook. I can add u - just request me (profile pic is a psychadelic frogfish lol). All my photos there

So this was the second time to Ambon, and the second time we have dived with Kaj and Barb who runs Dive into Ambon. The dive shop was originally situated at the Natsepa Hotel which was where we were based previously and i have already reviewed the trip there previously. This time the dive shop is setup at the Maluku Resort and Spa.

Pre trip organisation was excellent, with good communication via email, easy pay system and they answered any questions promptly. Getting to Ambon is easy via flights from Jakarta and take 4-5hrs depending on direction). We flew with Garuda, which gave 20kg per person and the extra 35kg we had seemed to not be much of an issue! sweet! That said we paid approx £18 for 35kg excess baggage on a previous flight to Komodo. Airport pickup was straight forward in a nice aircon van.

The resort is picturesque with a great pool area, smart gardens and a natural stream running through it (with fresh water eels). There is a small beach accessible when the tide is out. The dive shop is well equipped, and has a spacious well designed camera room. Gear was well looked after. Drinks are available at the shop and restaurant. Tea, coffee was freely available and Kaj and Barb always provided post diving snacks, usually home made including hummus, garlic dips, crisps, nuts etc. Sunsets were amazing there.

The room we had was a sea-view cottage. Fully air conditioned, with satellite tv, en suite bathroom with hot water, small lounge area etc.. Very private. The bed was lovely. Couldn't have asked for more.

The food on the whole was excellent. Breakfast included cereals, fruit juices, toast, jams, indonesian foods as well. Lunches on the boat were usually indonesian, with rice and noodles with chicken or beef, veg, then fruits afterwards. Dinner was probably the best bit. 3 courses usually, with the mains being meat or fish based - sometimes indonesian, sometimes british or german or thai. If you dont eat meat or fish then you would need to request specifically. The desserts for me were the highlight and we pretty much didn't repeat any meals in the 12 days there.

The dive boats were well designed and we usually did 3 dives daily +/- night dive. I made approx 45 dives and overall the experience was fantastic. Great dive guides, always trying to find what you wanted to see. Being down to a rare list of critters its often hard to find new stuff but this trip certainly provided, and mostly down to the brilliant guides - Robert, Irwin, Alan, Jack were the ones we had.

Highlights:
-Psychadelic frogfish (lucky - given the outrageous antics of Maluku divers who in my opinion are a disgrace)
-Mototi octopus
-Pug head coral pipefish
-Dragon shrimp
-Bumblebee shrimp
-Starry Saron shrimp

Dugongs were sighted by the other group. Night dives were fun and got some good black shots of sepia.

We did a side trip to Molana island which was brilliant. Molana offered crystal clear waters, beautiful coral walls that rivalled Komodo with good macro. Plus lunch on one of the most beautiful small beaches i have ever seen. We also made dives along Haruku which were also great.

Overall i highly recommend not only Ambon as a diving destination, but to use Kaj and Barb's Dive into Ambon at the Maluku Resort and Spa. They are very professional, well organised, immensely friendly and their aim is to ensure you have a great time and see what you want. I consider them both as friends and i wouldn't hesitate to make a third visit to Ambon. Easily the best dive operation in Ambon as they dive both the Ambon bay side, and the coral side, plus nearby islands like Molana. They are well priced for the quality of the setup and diving.

Maluku Divers and their guides were phenomenal. They treated the wildlife with great respect and appreciation. They know how important it is to the earth, and protect it accordingly. We went as a group of about 25 people and I was by far the novice compared to the seasoned divers on this crew, but they, like me, shared the sentiment of this is the best dive trip and vacation in general of our lives! Thank you to Maluku for the entertaining, amiable staff that waited on us at the bar until the late hours of the night, taught us the local songs and dances, shared with us their declicious cuisine and their expertise and love of the ocean!

Highlights:
-Mototi octopus
-Pug head coral pipefish
-Dragon shrimp
-Bumblebee shrimp
-Starry Saron shrimp

I have recently returned from my second trip in 3 years to Maluku Divers. I never saw any of the dive guide antics that you say you had seen. I was with a large group and never heard anyone say anything negative about the dive guides. They only said wonderful things about them and I agree with them. The staff and dive guides are some of the best I have ever seen.

I have recently returned from my second trip in 3 years to Maluku Divers. I never saw any of the dive guide antics that you say you had seen. I was with a large group and never heard anyone say anything negative about the dive guides. They only said wonderful things about them and I agree with them. The staff and dive guides are some of the best I have ever seen. They respected the marine and always watched to see that no one in our group disturbed the marine life.

Back
Top Bottom