Take a look at this little lake...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nice wee spot for a relaxing dip

What type of trout, BTW? It looked like a cross between a brookie and a brown with a hint of color like a rainbow. But those are American species. In the US, I've only seen sturgeon in rivers and they're very, very skittish. I've never seen them that small either. None under four feet with the biggest being longer than me. They give an amazing fight on a 6 weight fly rod. :D :D :D

What type of trout, BTW? It looked like a cross between a brookie and a brown with a hint of color like a rainbow. But those are American species. In the US, I've only seen sturgeon in rivers and they're very, very skittish. I've never seen them that small either. None under four feet with the biggest being longer than me. They give an amazing fight on a 6 weight fly rod. :D :D :D

Yeah, I have yet to see a big sturgeon here. Most of the ones you see around here are Russian sturgeon like these ones that originate in the Caspian and Black seas. When you see them in quarries and lakes they've very likely been set out and wouldn't have found their way there by natural means.

These species of Russian sturgeon, which is what you're seeing in the clip, don't get very big. You see the odd one that's a meter long and the maximum size they can get might be 1.5m or so. The big ones you get in North America or the Russian monstrosities (the Beluga) aren't something you would find in a lake here. The biggest lake fish I know of in Western Europe are cat fish. Some of those can grow to be 3m long.

The trout in the picture is what the Dutch call a "lake trout" (meerforel). It's closely related to a salmon. In North America the closest thing you will have to this is a brown. Your guess that it's a cross between a brook and a brown is very close to the mark, I would think.

R..

these are beautiful sturgeons
After how many beers??? :D :D :D Prehistoric? Sure. Beautiful? Not to me.
The biggest lake fish I know of in Western Europe are cat fish. Some of those can grow to be 3m long.
We have wild stories of Blue Cats that big, but the IGFA record is 57 inches and 143 pounds. Of course, we also can encounter bull sharks and alligators in our Florida rivers and springs. If you're in the very south of Florida, you can add American Saltwater Crocs to that list. The largest gator I've encountered in the wild was 18 ft. Fortunately, I was in a canoe that was also 18 ft long and it left us alone! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom