Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Despite what a lot of people say, there is some really great diving in Playa. It is very different from Cozumel, but great nonetheless.
Erik, please elaborate. I am interested to hear about Playa diving, excluding cenotes. We travel annually to Cozumel, and it would be easy to plan some time in PDC.

Erik, please elaborate. I am interested to hear about Playa diving, excluding cenotes. We travel annually to Cozumel, and it would be easy to plan some time in PDC.

Hey Sally, people bash on the ocean diving in Playa because it isn't Cozumel. I guess being so close, people kind of expect it be the same, but it isn't. It never has been. Playa has never had the majestic coral walls, and coral formations that Cozumel has. However, there's just tons of life on our reefs. just yesterday, I saw 3 turtles, a bunch of moray eels (including a 6-7' green moray), and huge schools of chub, grunts, snappers, angels, butterflies, squid and 2 stingrays at one of the shallow sites.

A lot of shops always try to push cenotes to everybody. I personally understand that not everybody is interested, and I absolutely will not take novice divers to the cenotes. So that's all I will say about them.

So yeah... it is very different, not worse, not better, just different. I like it. I've been diving for nearly 30 years, I have thousands of dives under my belt (I do over 600 dives per year) all over the world, and I really enjoy every chance I get to go out and do reef dives here in Playa. So if you get a chance to come out for a day and do some dives here, I'd seriously recommend it.

Thank you for the detail. It does sound interesting, and would not have occurred to me. This trip is planned, but I will keep this in mind for our next trip. Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom