Best areas for new divers in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JanetG

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi everyone, my boyfriend and I are planning a trip possibly to Fiji. We plan to get certified , then go, so we'll be complete beginners. We want to see the soft corals Fiji is famous for, as well as angelfish and anemonefish. Pelagics are less important. We also like to snorkel. Which area should we go to? Taveuni sounds amazing, but I imagine we'd need a dive operator who would give us a lot of attention.

If you are interested in Taveuni, I highly recommend Taveuni Ocean Sports and their resort Nakia. If you read the TripAdvisor reviews, they are spot on. We have been there three times. You will not find a better operator anywhere.

Thank you Julie, I was very encouraged by those reviews!

So many options. Fiji is great for learning to dive. Don't worry too much about that part, but look at the destination in a more general sense. Where as diving for experienced divers is more specific, in your case, I think you have many choices. I would not normally recommend the Yasawa islands for divers, they do offer some classically wonderful islands with very good diving especially for beginners. I can;t argue against Taveuni at all but it is further and more expensive as a consequence which may or may not be a factor. Have a look at Beqa Lagoon Resort for a more accessible option with the bonus of a shark feeding dive on site. If budget is an issue, try Aquatrek for diving and stay at either Uprising or Club Oceanus. Volivoli or Wananavu might offer learn to dive packages and host some of Fiji's best dives as well at an easily accessible location.
Bottom line, you can't go too far wrong. Pick a place that suits your budget and has good reviews.
PM me if you want any more specific info.
Greg

Hi Janet, just got back from Taveuni; diving with Taveuni Ocean Sports. Simply an amazing dive location and dive operator.

1 person was certified while we were diving. The diver in training was dropped with an instructor on a reef with zero current. Trained divers were on the opposite side of the reef in current. (no current dives were very manageable so you should have no problems compared to anywhere else). The dives with the most current would probably get very hairy for a beginner; however they would not take you there so no problems.

2-4 divers max per dive master; if new divers 2 max. Dive masters watched the beginners like hawks, they got 100% of the attention they needed. I am pretty sure on one dive the DM held onto or was next to another freshly certed diver. Bottom line is you will be catered to as a beginner.

I first dived while in holiday a Mana Island of the coast of Nadi. Fantastic holiday resort not just for diving. They have an onsite dive centre (part of the Aquatrek group).

100s of great dive sites within 10-50 minutes from the island, but also loads of not diving stuff to do. Snorkeling is great there with fantastic snorkeling straight off the beach all around the island.

Accommodation was great, we stayed in the central garden Bures. Didn't need a beach view as we didn't spend all day inside, 100m walk to either side of the island.

Back
Top Bottom