Beqa versus Taveuni in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaygee

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, my adult family are planning to dive in Fiji for a week in december 2023 (unfortunately the rainy season). we have narrowed our options down to either Beqa lagoon or taveuni (for rainbow reef, somosomo, great white wall, etc). I am hoping for recommendations from people who have dived both areas recently, and if possibly, best place to stay in those areas. i know beqa is famous for its shark dive and whilst we love sharks, its not a priority over everything else. we are looking for variety of wildlife ie pelagics, small/large critters, hard/soft corals, healthy reefs, vis, everything! thank you

There is another recent thread on this - Fiji in 2024 suggestions needed.
If you want fun in the sun, Taveuni in the rainy season is not it. I loved the diving and had some sun but we were there towards the end of the rain season.

I was in both places for a week each a couple months ago. It rained a lot in Taveuni, and the rain was nearly constant in Beqa. It truly broke my spirit there. That was late May-early June. I was also in Beqa (in July) 22 years ago, and it rained every day then, too. I think the rainy season actually starts January 1 and ends December 31.

I thought the diving was great in Taveuni. The rain was mostly at night, and we had mostly sunny weather during the day. I loved the Great White Wall, etc. We stayed at Paradise Taveuni, and I thought it was one of the best resorts I have ever stayed at in my life. I was there with friends with whom I have dived in a number of places around the world, and our attitude has always been "too many places; too little time," so when we agreed that we would consider going back there rather than strike out for something new, that says something.

We did not like Beqa Lagoon Resort nearly as much for reasons I won't go into here. My biggest disappointment was the diving. I remembered the great bommies of 22 years ago, covered with coral and reef fish from bottom to top. Those are sad memories, because the coral on the bommies below 30-35 feet is mostly long dead, and the fish are long gone. My friends and I agreed that if we were to return to Fiji, it would not be there.

I can only speak to Beqa as I was there this past October for my honeymoon. I only dove 3 days and I’d say the reef dives were “fine”, definitely not what I was hoping for travelling all that way. We had quite a bit of rain the second half of the week and it really affected the viz. The shark dive was truly spectacular and felt like it was run about as safely as one could operate such an event. The highlight for me was befriending some of the staff and visiting their village and homes, that is the reason I’d go back, not the diving.

I have stayed at Garden Island Resort on Taveuni twice and absolutely loved it. I have some very good friends that stayed at Beqa and loved it as well. They particularly loved the shark dive and a sandbar lunch. They were doing a couple dives a day. I was doing 4 and 5 dives a day and not doing much topside except a couple drinks and local music in the evening.

I was in Fiji last year (as per my post in the thread linked in @ColoDale's post. There is definitely better diving in the world than what Fiji has to offer, but traveling from Melb or Syd, it's easy and cheap, and is a great place to visit.

I cannot speak highly enough of the resort, staff or locals at Beqa. Shark dive was run very well and even though it was not the reason for choosing that destination was certainly a highlight of my trip. Reefs are OK but can't really be compared to the likes of Indonesia, Philipines or Micronesia.

I was there in June and hardly saw any rain, but I can't speak for December.

I was in both places for a week each a couple months ago. It rained a lot in Taveuni, and the rain was nearly constant in Beqa. It truly broke my spirit there. That was late May-early June. I was also in Beqa (in July) 22 years ago, and it rained every day then, too. I think the rainy season actually starts January 1 and ends December 31.

I thought the diving was great in Taveuni. The rain was mostly at night, and we had mostly sunny weather during the day. I loved the Great White Wall, etc. We stayed at Paradise Taveuni, and I thought it was one of the best resorts I have ever stayed at in my life. I was there with friends with whom I have dived in a number of places around the world, and our attitude has always been "too many places; too little time," so when we agreed that we would consider going back there rather than strike out for something new, that says something.

We did not like Beqa Lagoon Resort nearly as much for reasons I won't go into here. My biggest disappointment was the diving. I remembered the great bommies of 22 years ago, covered with coral and reef fish from bottom to top. Those are sad memories, because the coral on the bommies below 30-35 feet is mostly long dead, and the fish are long gone. My friends and I agreed that if we were to return to Fiji, it would not be there.
+1 for Paradise Taveuni - I stayed there last August and absolutely loved the resort and staff and diving. It was a wonderful place and I’m planning to return next year with my wife (non-diver)! VoloVoli was very good as well - but the weather sucked (high winds) so we never got out to the better sites on the Bligh Waters Marine Park!

Back
Top Bottom