Lesson learned -Need Advice- New Diver needing to practice skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

France park in logansport, indiana is about an hour from indianapolis. Visibility varies. Google indy dive center. There bouyancy and navigation courses there.

France Park in Logansport, Indiana. Kenneth Quarry is there. Indy Dive Center runs the scuba diving there. Its about an hour from indianapolis.

@apivonka , I recently purchased a scuba "Diving Signals" app from the App Store, by Lars Behnke. It was pretty inexpensive but allows you to study & learn some basic underwater communication signs (which you could load on your phones or computer); another option.
My husband & I first developed our diving skills by shore diving together. I would encourage you to be a team; both of you understanding & having equal input in the plan, dive site, purpose, & gear used. Start slowly & conservatively, developing good habits & ask for lds advice when in new areas, in advance. Work for both members to be equally able & invested, so one diver isn't the "leader" & the other simply swimming along (clueless to navigation, gear, etc). And KEEP DIVING - it is the best way to learn. PS. We have our own gear. It helped me become more invested in diving (pun not intended), confident, informed, & careful (with my gear). :)
Others have posted great suggestions. Enjoy the adventure!

Last edited:
Thank you all

I'm the type who dives in deep and learns as much as possible, books, talking to other and experiences ..
I've did that with motorcycling for most of my life from street/dirt/cross country and even teaching.

Yet, diving is not an individual sport, (as I am learning) and my wife and I have to work as a team (as we are learning).
Most of all, its suppose to be FUN!!!.... (the wife keeps reminding me).

This is an all new adventure for the both of us and we are enjoying it ....

Somewhat related to the OP's question is the "20" or so pool skills. When many talk about polishing their dive skills they are referring to some basics like buoyancy, dive planning (profile, etc.), navigation, buddy stuff, etc. Don't forget the stuff you did in the pool--like reg retrieval, breathing from a free flow, removing/replacing unit, disconnecting LPI hose, even CESA (though some advise against practicing that). Air share ascent, the tows--all that stuff that I didn't give a thought to for 4 years until taking the DM course. These should be reviewed somewhat regularly. In my case, being almost always diving solo due to my location, I practice some of them now and again--the ones not requiring a buddy. But once weekly I go over my list of the 20 and mimmick doing them while sitting in my chair. Better than nothing, and you never know if you'll ever have to use one of them. I did once have to take off my unit and shove it up on rocks in nasty surf. I did once have an inflator stuck inflating my BC and had to detach it (continued the dive orally inflating, another of the "20" skills).
The only skill I had any real trouble with was the unit on/off thing. The rest-- I just ticked them off easy. So it was natural to not even think about them and just start diving. You have to practice mask clearing because you'll have to do it anyway. Not a good idea to neglect the skills like I did.

Last edited:
Hi;

I have a Cressi Drake Titanium diving computer, Can I use it for scuba diving or its only for free diving?
your help is appreciated

Back
Top Bottom